From:
Amber Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:13:56 -0800
[Moderator's note:  What would Christmas be without a major disagreement?
Following is the latest round featuring Barb Clay and her supporters from
Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter vs Kim Fox at at Somethin Up My Sleeve
Rescue.  After rejected posts on both sides I agreed to post this round
so that each side can have their say.  It's a shame -- it's clear to me
that behind all this are people who care very much about ferrets.

Kim's response follows this post.  This is the last round on the subject
that I'm accepting for a while.  Let's cool off a bit.  BIG]

I'm sure that Barb would've responded to your slam to her, but she's been
rather busy..the good folks at Rocky's were kind enough to play Santa at
PetSmart.  I heard that some crazed elves made off with Santa's beard,
thankfully they didn't spoil it as another beard was found!

Barb posted about the Zoo's sanctuary because she was concerned, not
to cause the woman trouble.  Barb puts her heart and soul into helping
ferrets, she helps the ferrets find good loving forever homes and makes
sure they have medical care.  Has Tucker had his surgery yet?  Seems to
me if it was so urgent he get it, and you had the raffle to get the
money that he should've gotten it.  I don't know many vets that if you
walked into their office with cash in hand would deny medical care.  Have
you adopted out very many ferrets this year?  You admit that you don't
adopt out very often, yet there are shelters who can manage to adopt out
ferrets.  Maybe you should ask Barb how she manages to find all these
forever homes, I'm sure she'd help you!  Barb has thankfully has taken
in, rescued and helped find homes for many ferrets.  For you to sit
there and slam her in public for voicing a concern just makes me realize
how bitter you are towards her.

You say that the article isn't going to validate puppy mills,collectors
and cat people?  Let me explain something to you, these people do NOT
think they are doing anything wrong.  Do you think Jen Morrison thought
what she was doing was wrong ?  Obviously not because she went right back
to doing it didn't she?  This article makes Zoo look like a hero, and to
some of the ferrets..  maybe she is.  You don't think that someone with
40-50 cats in their one bedroom house isn't going to look at that article
and think to themselves how great they are because they're helping these
cats out?

What concerns me the most, is what happens when a whole bunch of her
ferrets need medical care at the same time..  can she afford it?  What
happens if for some re ason she can't take care of them..  is there going
to have to be another rescue like the Utah rescue?  ALL ferrets benefit
from having a permanent home... a home that can provide them with lots
of love and provide for them in their old age.  I know how expensive an
elderly and sick ferret can be.  Most of all I know how expensive more
than one can be at a time!  I realize she loves her ferrets, nobody has
said she doesn't.  I also don't think that she should have 501(c) if she
doesn't request donations.  Obviously the people that were sending her
donations were doing so out of the goodness of their hearts and not for
a tax break.

I am ALL for rescues and shelters, I support them 100%, lord knows I
couldn't do what they do.  I know that we all want to rescue and give
forever homes to all the ferrets who need them.  I think that when
someone rescues a ferret they need to look at the big picture, can they
afford to take care of this ferret for the rest of it's life?  Medical
care, food, toys, cage, etc.. it can add up to quite a bit.  If they
can't afford it in the long run than maybe they should do the right thing
and try to find a forever home for the ferret, a home that can afford the
care.  I'm not againest shelters and rescues getting donations and help..
I only wish there were more people who would donate and help shelters
and rescues.  I'm not even againest people asking for help with their
personal ferrets..  I think however to get 501(c) to help out your
personal ferrets is wrong..  and they ARE her personal ferrets..  she
isn't adopting them out she is keeping them forever..does she take them
out to schools, shows, etc..  and educate people with them?  It's
frustrating to know there are shelters struggling to get 501 (c) yet
someone can get them for their personal pets.

Kim you said that other shelters and rescues should line up to get
slammed..  I think maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that
you are guilty of slamming people and shelters as well.  You've slammed
the people on Pooflingers on the FML when they didn't say anything about
you here.  You're slammed Barb Clay for voicing a concern.  You slam
Rocky's.You've slammed people who question your shelter, when all they've
done is ask a question.  I suppose I'll be the next on your list!

For all the shelters and rescues, bless you for what you do!  You make a
difference in the world.