Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:33:46 EDT
Hello everyone,

First of all, for those of you planning to attend, the hearing starts at
8:00 AM now, not 9:00AM as previously mentioned.

Secondly, I'm more than a little concerned about the next committee hearing
coming up in just a few days on Tuesday, July 10th in the Water, Parks
and Wildlife Committee.  One of our members who visited Assemblymember
Frommer district office (Assemblymember Frommer is a new Assemblymember
and therefore new to this issue) said that it did not appear that the
Assemblymember had received very many letters.  I'm hoping he did, in
fact, hear from those of you in his district because we mailed out over
100 letters to individuals on our list in his district!  Still,
Assemblymember Frommer has not taken a position yet on our bill.

We also mailed out letters to several hundred people in Christine Kehoe's
district but were told by one of her constituents that she also is
undecided as is Assemblymember Dennis Hollingsworth who has about 150 folks
in his district that we mailed to.  We also have no news on the position
that Assemblymembers Goldberg, Pavley or Kelley will take on our bill.  In
fact, we have such a thin margin so far that if one yes vote is absent, our
bill will fail!  If it fails in this committee that's it, it's over!

Californians, this is your bill.  Don't make the erroneous assumption that
this bill will pass this year.  There simply is no guarantee and it can
fail at any time.  It can fail this Tuesday!!

It's your job to write to or call your respective representatives.  No
one else can or will do it for you.  I urge you to not passively sit by
watching and waiting.  Do your part to ensure that SB 1093 passes!  It will
be a long time before we have this opportunity again.  Ask yourself if
you've done your part, if you've written to your representatives and
collected 100 signatures.  If you have, terrific, you will have had a
hand in passing this bill, if you've done more, even better!

If you haven't written your representatives and collected 100 signatures
(or at least begun the process for our deadline of August 15th), frankly
you will share the responsibility for the failure of our bill, it's as
simple as that.  That may be harsh, but it's simply a fact.  This will
not happen if you are silent, you must be pro-active if we are to succeed
this year.

If you live in one of the following districts, or know someone who does,
and you haven't yet contacted your representative, please call Monday
asking the Assemblymember to support SB 1093.  Contacting your
representative several times is not as effective, and can be detrimental,
as having new constituents phone.  That is why this is directed at people
who haven't yet contacted their representatives.  If you do not live in
these districts, please do NOT phone, you will only hurt our efforts.

Dario Frommer (D-43) tel(916)319-2043, fax(916) 319-2143
Area representing: Part of Los Angeles county including the cities of
Burbank, Glendale and Los Angeles.
Ferret voting history: new member.  Please ask this member to support
amnesty for ferret owners by voting yes on SB 1093.

Jackie Goldberg (D-45) tel(916)319-2045, fax(916) 319-2145
Area representing: Part of Los Angeles county including the city of Los
Angeles.
Ferret voting history: new member.  Please ask this member to support
amnesty for ferret owners by voting yes on SB 1093.

Dennis Hollingsworth (R-66) tel(916)319-2066, fax(916) 319-2166
Area representing: Part of Riverside and San Diego counties including the
cities of Corona, Fallbrook, Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Sun City, and
Temecula.
Ferret voting history: new member.  Please ask this member to support
amnesty for ferret owners by voting yes on SB 1093.

Christine Kehoe (D-76) tel(916) 319-2076, fax(916) 319-2176
Areas representing: Part of the county of San Diego including the city of
San Diego.
Ferret voting history: new member.  Please ask this member to support
amnesty for ferret owners by voting yes on SB 1093.

David Kelley (R-80) tel(916) 319-2080, fax(916) 319-2180
Areas representing: Imperial and part of Riverside counties including the
cities of Bermuda Dunes, Blythe, Brawley, Calexico, Coachella, El Centro,
Indio, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Palm
Springs and Rancho Mirage.
Ferret voting history: new member.  Please ask this member to support
ferret amnesty by voting yes on SB 1093.

Fran Pavley (D-41) tel(916)319-2041, fax (916)319-2141
Areas representing: Part of Los Angeles county including the cities of
Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Malibu, Santa Monica, Tarzana and Woodland Hills.