From:
"Reet ..." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:39:00 PST
>From:    Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: english v american ferrets
cathy meade wrote:  [Moderator's note: Sheila said that, not Cathy.  BIG]
>IMO all ferrets should be bred for health and temperament.  Show
>standards, colour breeding can take a back seat.

My first boy, Dexter, came from a breeder who mainly breeds for fur, so he
was breed for form and fur quality.  they just gave a few out for pets
to make some extra dosh.  Thus, I got *no* information on his background,
care, etc.  My second boy, RAmirez, came from a breeder who breed for
temperament, and thus came with lots of information, and even contact info
of the breeder in case I needed assistance.

The ferrets themselves..  Dexter, when first bought, bit less often but bit
hard..  My second boy, Ramirez, bit often but rarely hard..  Of course
now, they don't bite except in play.  I found in the end it made little
difference to thier personality.  Ther have very different personalities,
which all different ferrets have, but apart from that the only difference
I notice is form..  Dexter has a long, narrow face, and corse but good
quality fur..  Ramirez, on the other hand, never really changed from the
kit face, and his face is broad and flat..  His fur is softer and less
quality it respect to farming it..

- Reet