From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 00:28:50 -0700
It's me again, kicking off the dust for awhile.  Remember the "Ferretguy"
at Especially Ferrets Inc.  I'm sure at one point we were by far the
largest ferret shelter and rescue on the planet.  Never said "no" to a
ferret in need or a ferret owner.  From 1995 to 2001, we rescued and
found homes for more than 10,000 wayward ferrets from all over this great
country.  Even some out of country ferrets came to us.  They came from
all walks of life and in all conditions.  We never had to kill a ferret.
We did have many who died 15 minutes after they crossed our threshhold
due to neglect and abuse.  My wife and I, with the help of many dedicated
and caring volunteers, worked around the clock for many years...that's
right...24/7...cleaning, feeding caring for and sometimes crying in the
middle of the night.  It never got easier.

Some volunteers were called in the middle of the night to sit with the
dying.  Most were medicated by the vets we used and not suffering.  We
just held them and prayed...and cried.  We all gave our hearts and souls
and our bank accounts to this noble movement, and for many years it
worked.  Our house was converted to a hospital clean environment suited
for ferrets, with one room for my wife and I.  Donations were rolling in
and we were helping other shelters around the country, with vet contacts,
food, labor and other supplies whenever we got more than we needed for
the time.

Then came the battle with the city of Aurora, Co.(fondly called
Naziville) who made it against the law to have a ferret playground in
the backyard behind a 6 ft.  privacy fence.  They only saw it on my web
site, along with where we were located and our phone numbers.  We had
four lines and five computers(all networked) so we could transact the
10 - 15 adoptions and surrenders we were conducting on a daily basis.
We were busy alright.  We ended up selling our house of 11 years and
moving out to the country.  Before we left, we sent out our last round
of donation solicitations to 1,500 clients who we had in the last year
or two, helped without asking for anything in return.  Even though
the postage was donted by one of our lawyers, the mailing didn't even
recover the postage.  We have all the documentation still.

We have not renewed out Colorado state non-profit status, we have
cancelled our 501(c) (3) federal nonprofit status, not renewed our state
dept of ag permit and hung it out to dry just like most of the forgetful
people we helped.  You know, the ones we shelter folks get up for in the
middle of the night.  The ones we absorb their vet bills vs. watching a
young ferret be put to death because they won't spend the money?  The
very same ones we fronted food to and they didn't pay us or they wrote
us bad checks?  Or the ones that can't or won't cough up 5-10 bucks when
all the folks that helped them were counting on their support.  Yes, we
made business mistakes, decisions of the heart.  That's what a shelter
is folks.  Every shelter I've met and many of those I didn't meet but
talked to all catch grief from their clients, their bookkeepers, their
banktellers, and to top it all off, they see suffering and death in
quantities most of you can never comprehend.

Ya'll have heard the saying "If you don't vote, don't complain about the
gov't", well, if you don't support your local shelter, you will never
have the right to help it become the best it can be.  They are already
fighting a terribly hard uphill battle.  Nobodys perfect.  Giving someone
grief who has done so much good doesn't accomplish anything.  Well
nothing good.  I started EFI a healthy young man of 40.  I loved what I
did for the fuzzies, and would do it all over.  I gave my life to them...
and also my health.  Since founding EFI, I've had 7 cardiac events and
even as early as mid March 2004 was in the hospital in coma fighting for
my life for several days.  Today, as for the last two years I am in a
wheelchair, and need help with lifes basic functions.  Yet I still have
19 ferrets left whom I cherish and still get joy.  I wish we all could
be as innocent as they are.

Before I sign off for the last time as the "Ferretguy", please support
your local shelter.  If you can't give money, give time, or food or
something they can use.  And think of the shelters operators as many
times they buy ferret food befor their own.  You will feel better, I
promise.

Until we meet again, this is the Ferretguy and EFI signing off for the
last time and saying thanks to all my friends and supporters.  See Ya
at the Bridge!