From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:09:46 -0700
I have been a little slow in catching up on my FMLs lately, so just read
the post about leaving kids at the vet post-surgery or when they are very
sick.  I was told once that it would be better if I left Turnip there
overnight, but when I asked specifically about the qualifications of "the
person who monitors them overnight", I found that NO ONE WOULD EVEN BE
THERE from 11pm until 6am!!!!  Needless to say, I took him home with me for
the night.....then changed vets.  I have to drive 3 hours to the new vet's
office, but she has a few cots, recliner chairs and rockers in a "quiet
room" where I can stay with my kids if they need to stay all night.  From
her experience (which is extensive, especially with ferrets), she says she
has found that they do recover quicker in every way when mommy or daddy are
there and involved in their care (holding, feeding, rocking, talking to
them) whenever possible.

From my own experience, I would suggest strongly that anyone question the
vet SPECIFICALLY before leaving them overnight to see if they will be alone
or if there is actually someone who stays and monitors the critically ill
animals.

jacquie & the boys (Loki, Morgan & Turnip) and Sara the wonderdog