From:
Peggy Covic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:08:43 EDT
Hi everybody,
I hope all your fuzzbuts are well :)  I have a question about how much a
ferret eats in a 24 hour period.  You see Sammy is still on a blended
ferret food & water, I've slowly thickened it, but he has to be able to
lick it off the spoon or he refuses it.  He won't eat his regular food,
even if I soak it in water first.

If you recall, Sammy almost died.  He had a toxic spleen removed and a left
adrenal gland (both benign :-)

He was on Duck soup for 3 weeks, I've finally weaned him off the Sustacal
in the mixture of Sustacal, food & water, but I'm concerned.  The more I
thicken his food & water combo, the less he eats.  Now he's refused to do
more than lick the spoon twice because it's too thick.  He has been given a
clean bill of health and he's back to 2.2 lbs.  He was 1.6 lb's 3 weeks
ago.  He's active about 3 or 4 hours a day & sleeps the rest of the time.
Does he still need food that he can lap up like a dog?  Or should I just
provide his food and hope he'll eat it when he gets hungry.  He's been
eating out of a spoon every 6 hours.  Is that too much food now?  Oh, he's
finally drinking out of his water bottle again, so at least I don't have to
worry about dehydration anymore :-) He's also gotten most of his strength
back, and he even dooked yesterday for the first time in 4 weeks.  So I
know he's feeling much better, but I don't want him to go downhill again.
I had to force feed him for 2 weeks, while the vet tried antibiotics,
etc..I was barely able to keep him alive, even with the Duck Soup.

Sorry for all the questions, but I know there is someone out there that can
answer them.

Dooks to all
Peggy & Sammy :)