From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:09:09 -0400
Just wanted to add my thoughts to what will hopefully be an open
discussion with shared viewpoints.  I will admit that at first I couldn't
understand why a shelter would breed.  It seemed to me that the problem
is too many ferrets and too few quality homes.  It didn't make sense to
me to add more ferrets into the mix.  But the more I think of it,
especially in terms of long term chages, it makes perfect sense.

Shelters and quality breeders are the only sellers who will make sure
ferrets are bought by good owners.  Pet stores, with their abundant mill
suppliers, don't screen prospective buyers.  And kits, so temptingly cute
and yet so vunerable, need this protection as much as older ferrets who
have already been through a bad home.  The more kits sold from shelters,
the less homeless older ferrets that will end up back in the shelter
system.  Also, when circumstances change and a ferret needs to be given
up, I think most shelters and breeders would take back and rehome that
ferret themselves.

Breeders that care are the only ones who will be doing it for the benefit
of the species.  Kits bred this way will have the benefit of being weened
and neutered/spayed later, resulting in healthier ferrets.  Hopefully
they will also breed carefully, for longevity and temperment.

As more people become aware of such positive breeding and buy from
private breeders and shelters, then the market for pet store kits will
diminish.  Hopefully someday these breeding mills will go out of
business, and all ferrets will be better off!

Two of my three ferrets are from pet stores (before I knew about
shelters) my third gal is from a shelter.  All three are Marshall Farm
ferrets.  Mikette at age 3 had right adrenal surgery, 6 months later
developed insulinoma, and now at 5 1/2 is showing signs of adrenal
again.  Jillie at 4 years old needed surgery to remove some masses and is
considered at risk for insulinoma.  Now at 5 she just had bloodwork to
hopefully rule out adrenal in respect to some recent changes.

I always say I will not get another pet store kit.  I always say any
future ferrets of mine will be shelter fuzzies needing a forever home.
They will be.  But what I would love is to get a ferret from a shelter
that was bred privately.  A ferret that will have a chance for the
healthiest, longest life possible.  A ferret that will be loved by me
for whatever time it has, hopefully with that time being more than the
average 6-8 years given as the estimate for domestic ferrets in America.
I've seen how fast that time goes by.  It is too fast.  I don't think
Marshall Farm ferrets selling in pet stores, being rescued by shelters,
and being adopted will change that.  I hope sheltes/private breeding can
change that.

Risa

Please do not think that I don't completely respect, admire, and praise
shelters for the work they do everyday.  I think they are amazing.  They
rescue ferrets that are in bad situations and need immediate help.  They
are invaluable, and the most important part of the ferret community.  I
shudder to think how horrible things would be for ferrets if they weren't
there for them.  But this cycle is getting worse, shelters are getting
more overburdened.  In addition to wanting to help shelters do the
wonderful work they do, I hope to see an end to the whole "mill farm,
pet store, shelter" cycle.