From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 10:59:32 -0500 (CDT)
I had heard of someone whose ferret was evidently eating too fast
(not on the FML), and saw a possible solution to this last weekend.
A friend with cats put golf balls in their food dishes, as they'd
been eating so fast that they threw up.  This makes them have to
pick around the balls, slowing them down.  With ferrets, depending
on the size of the dish, you might have to put 3 or more in the
dish to compensate for their smaller muzzles.

Then again, ferrets might think this is a neat game - bat the golf
balls (and food?) out of the dish!  Whee!

BTW, Rocko's healed up nicely after his operation, and gets his
stitches out today.  (He'd swallowed a rubber band about 2 weeks
ago.)  He looks a little thin, but his appetite is fine.  Could
he still be recovering from the stress?  He'd had intestinal
inflammation (and a bacterial infection) from the blockage, and
his stools are a bit soft, but fairly normal looking otherwise.
(I wouldn't classify it as diarrhea.)  Maybe it's the bacteria's
effects, slowly going away as the antibiotics take effect and
the colon returns to normal?  Just wondering.

Happy ferreting -
Denise, Rocko & Randall (6 mo. old sable males), and Grumpy
    (teddy bear hamster)