Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 23:52:45 -0400
Hi All,

        We are rather new to the FML and have most of the back issues now,

(Well, 300 out of the almost 900) and really enjoy it.  First let me

introduce my "family", Andrea (Human S.O.), Iago (9 month female cinnamon

ferret), Abu (1 year female silvermitt ferret), Jeepers (2 year female

white cat), and Myself (Human of course!).

        Well here is our problem, we have owned Iago since she was 7 weeks

and recently (1 month) aquired Abu.  She seemed to have been abused at the

pet store for her being underweight, no shot records, and lack of grooming.

Anyway, we always thought ferrets were very sociable and from what we

have read about them they would easily adapt to the addition of more

ferrets.  To our dismay, ours have not.  They fight whenever they get close

to each other, they will not eat together, sleep together or play together.

Every time Iago attempts to play and starts her ferret dance and snooking,

Abu immediatly starts crying and squealing.  Then they start to wrestle,

bite, fight and Abu's constant LOUD squealing continues.  We read that

they have to establish a pecking order, but neither go after the traditional

neck grab and dragging session.  We try and let them fight as long as we

can stand hearing this and then we do a check for cuts, scapes, bruises,

broken bones..etc.  So far neither have been injured but how long should/

will this continue?  We have a very large cage that they share, but one

will sleep in the hamock and the other will sleep on the floor in a bankey.

Any advice would be appreciated.

             Todd, Andrea, Iago, Abu, and Jeepers.

P.S.  A good toy that we have found is a NUK size 2 pacifier.  The nipple

holds up well (Check once a week tho for breaks) and looks cute as they

run round with it in their mouth like a 'lil baby.  [:)