From:
ferretdamce83 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:04:31 -0400
Many of you will remember when Codo came to us almost one year ago. I
often spoke of him on the FML as "the ferret with three legs that don't
work". You can search for posts about him in the archives using my
moniker, "Lori in Ohio", for further details not mentioned in the
following story. I sent the following to the FML poster wanting stories
about ferrets with compassion, but perhaps you would like to read it as
well.

I often take in unwanted ferrets advertised online, though now I work
more closely with our local Cleveland shelter, Ferrets Unlimited Rescue
Services (FURS). Codo and Ayla were the second pair I got through
surfing internet ads. Both were covered in filth and showed obvious
signs of abuse. I was told Codo had been stepped on "awhile" back and
never taken to the vet. I took the bonded pair without examining them
closely at the time of surrender, so I wouldn't inadvertently kill the
folks that had brought them.

Three of Codo's legs would not respond correctly, and Ayla HATED men.
I knew Ayla's psychological aversion would work itself out over time,
making Codo the priority. The vet said that, due to the nerve damage in
his spine and head, which looked like a deformed egg in the back, that
the disability he suffered was likely permanent. Verifying that Codo
wasn't in pain, not even from the wrongly-healed breaks in his tail
that made it like a zigzag, I decided to try some physical therapy.

When I got home and put Ayla and Codo in their cage, I realized we had
another problem to deal with. Due to the way the Super Pet cages are
fashioned with a deep litter pan on the bottom, a bowl can't be
attached until the first level of shelves. I couldn't re-design the
litter area allowing empty space for bowls, because Codo was incapable
of backing up into a litter box to use the toilet. So that left me
with how the heck I was going to make sure he got fed and watered.

Ayla soon showed me that she would take care of things. The Super Pet
cages have solid plastic ramps going from level to level. Ayla just
pushed Codo up the slight inclines to the feeding area. Then, She stood
between him and the edge of the shelf to keep him from falling off.
Ayla would also help lift Codo into low-slung hammocks too. She kept
this up for two months, until Codo could walk on his own.

In the beginning, my other ferrets, at the time Rhys and Frost, left
Codo very much alone, never attempting to wrestle or play chase. Ayla
rebuffed Rhys and Frost's offers of friendship, because she had more
important things to do -- being Codo's guardian. In the wild, ferrets
are one of very few species that don't run off injured or sick members
of the group; the two others I know of are wolves and humans.

Codo and Ayla are still best pals, even though Codo doesn't need
nursing anymore. He can walk on his own, though he does fall down quite
often. He moves his legs stiffly, like there are puppeteer's strings
attached. Ayla has grown to love my husband and to tolerate one of the
male cousins. The pair now live in a Super Pet Kingdom cage, which is
taller than I am! I specially designed the ramps and tubes for Codo's
ease of travel. Three other ferrets live in their too, making one big
happy business of ferrets. Everyday, Codo and Ayla play with thir
cagemates out in the ferret room for hours, with the others gently
wrestling with Codo and allowing him to win a round or two. Even
Mandie, the fristky nipping kit, is very careful with our Codo.

In the picture (which won't appear in the FML), Ayla is the dark sable
in the colorful harness, and Codo is the cinnamon panda mitt in the
dark blue harness. Codo is the most beautiful ferret I've ever seen,
with that long mop of fur, but Ayla has the most beautiful spirit in a
ferret that I've encountered. The photo would suggest they enjoy a walk
outdoors, but it is more that they relish lounging in the sunshine.

I hope this story of compassion helps illustrate of what love and
devotion ferrets are capable. I also have a story of compassion from a
ferret to a human and another of feret-on-ferret compassion, but that
can wait for another time. Please let me know what you think of Codo
and Ayla's story.

With respect,

Lori in Ohio
Ferrets: Rhys, Codo & Ayla, Mandie & Winter, Holly & Charlie
Missing: Frost, and too many others to count