Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:08:05 -0600
I think that it is time to talk about the importance of establishing a good
relationship with your vet.  If you don't have one, and are looking for
one, I suggest getting many recommendations from other ferret people, and
then meeting the vets in person.  This may mean making a number of visits
to many vets until you find the right one for you.  This should be done
before an emergency happens with one of your ferrets.

These are some key points I consider when choosing a vet:

1. How much experience does this vet have in the treatment of ferret
   illnesses?
2. How many years have they been in practice?
3. Are the office and examination rooms clean?
4. Is this vet willing to take you on a tour of the facility and show
   you around?
5. Is this vet open to suggestions or willing to listen to other opinions,
   and try other options?
6. If the vet does not know what is going on with your ferret, are they
   willing to call "the experts", or are they determined to find things
   out for themselves?
7. Is there a true concern for the quality of life for your ferret and
   do they show genuine compassion towards your ferrets?
8. Does this vet have a personality that I can relate well to?

Personality may not seem important when it comes to the health and well
being of your ferret, but if you can't talk to your vet, you may not be
helping your ferret.  There is nothing worse than leaving a vet's office
and feeling like you should have said something or even disagreed with the
diagnosis.  Never be afraid to voice your concerns.  If something does not
seem right, chances are your gut instincts are correct.  You owe it to your
ferret to ask questions.  Talking things out will help you understand the
situation better and perhaps lead to another solution.  They may have the
medical know how but you know your ferret's personality better than they
do.  It's a given that vets have gone through extensive training, but
that doesn't mean they're always right.  Besides, medicine is not an exact
science.  It is based on what does the most good for the most number of
cases.  You might have an out of the norm situation.

Not everyone has the option to pick and choose a vet, but even if you
end up with one that you don't feel comfortable around, you must always
remember what you are at the vet's office for, and that is your ferret.  If
the vet has the experience but lacks the proper bedside manner, then that
is a small sacrifice to make.  But sometimes, even first impressions can be
deceiving.  Maybe the vet had a stressful day and is short or distant with
you for a reason.  They are only human after all.  That is why I recommend
seeing them on more than one occasion.

Once you have chosen a vet, offer to supply them with any new information
you may find on ferret illnesses and ferret care.  In my experience, a
good vet will not turn the information away.  In fact, a good vet will
appreciate that fact that you are willing to go the extra mile in order to
help not only your ferret, but someone else's as well.  In the long run,
your vet will probably reciprocate by sharing new techniques and
information with you too.

It takes time to have a rapport with your vet, but it is well worth it.
For those of us who have many ferrets, we tend to see them on a regular
basis... sometimes every week, every month or even many times a month.
They become family.  They laugh at your ferret's stories and antics, they
support you through the tough times, and cry with you when there is a loss.

For those of you who have not so many, finding a good vet and then having a
rapport may be more difficult.  But, I'll tell you this... I didn't have
so many at one time but when I did see my vet, I always made good use out
of the visit.  Make it a priority and the payoff will come back to you
tenfold... in the health and happiness of your ferrets, and your peace of
mind.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur who LOVES her vet!
For the love of ferrets... Missing Bear