From:
Stephanie Bass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:12:26 -0600
My Princess Penelope

My baby.  I remember the first day I brought you home with me.  I had
no idea what I was getting myself into.  I rescued you.  I brought you
into a home, our home, that loved you unconditionally.  I wish it hadn't
taken two years for you to find me.  Two years of your life wasted in
that small little cage that Earl kept you in.  But, he was a good enough
father to know that in order to give you a better life, he needed to let
you go.  I took you home with me.  I will never forget the almost instant
connection.  You would take showers with me and stand under the waterfall
that flowed off my back.  That was your spot.

I remember not having a clue what I was getting myself into.  I didn't
even know what a ferret was until I took you home.  I wanted to be the
best mommy ever to you.  I made a lot of first mommy mistakes, but you
were such a good baby that it didn't even faze you.  You never ate
anything but your ferret food and ferret treats!  Not even raisins!  So
of course when we brought you Abe, he ate them all for you.  I adopted
your baby brother to keep you company for the long hours that I was away
at work or school.  You hit it off right away.  Even though you were so
tiny and he was so big, you were still the boss.  You were his woman, his
sister, his companion.  You showed him the ropes.  Most of the time he
didn't listen of course, but you were still his teacher.  And when that
big boy wanted to play rough, Momma came to the rescue.  You were
royalty, you couldn't play like that.  Princesses don't rough house.

My favorite times were playing in bed with you.  You loved scavengering
in the sheets.  Bouncing in them.  Lying on your back while I tickled
your belly.  But even though you were a princess, you couldn't hide the
ferret in you.  You always found dropped pens and socks lying about.  You
loved stealing them from me.  It was a game.  I'd watch you carry it off
to your hiding place, and then I would snatch it back.  And you would
steal it again.  I will never understand your fascination with pens.
Was it because they fit so neatly in your mouth?

Momma loves you baby.  Daddy loves you.  Abe loves you.  And Auntie Tracy
loves you too.  Momma and Daddy are crying because we miss you so much.
But we know that we will see you again.  Abe doesn't understand yet.  If
you can, try to visit him one last time so that he will be ok.  He is
just a baby boy, like you once were.  He needs to know that it will be
ok.  I miss your kisses more than anything.  You always knew just the
right time to come and give Momma kisses.  You knew me more than most
people can ever know me.  I love you so much baby.  You were my Princess
and you will always be my Princess.  Nothing will ever replace you.

My Daddy is in Heaven and he will watch over you in Rainbow Bridge.  And
when it is Momma's turn, I will come to Rainbow Bridge to find you.  I
will find you, and pick you up, and hold you in my arms again.  And you
will be able to give Momma lots and lots of kisses forever and ever.
And I will never leave you again.  We will cross the bridge together.
But until then, play.  Play with all of the other ferrets.  Eat lots of
treats.  Steal lots of pens.  Steal lots of socks.  You can have as many
pens and socks as you want to.  You can show them all to me when I come.
You will see me again.  You will see Daddy again.  You will see Abe
again.  I love you so much.  You are my Princess Penelope.