Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 07:34:47 -0600
Last month a zool-friend called to ask what can be done about skunks raiding
bee hives.  Seems the beasties are being poisoned by the bee keepers and she
was wondering how they could be scared away instead of being destroyed.
From my experience, they are almost fearless, but do hate loud noise, so I
suggested infrared beams that, when broken, set off a sonic cannon, like the
kind to shoo away birds.  She called back, and said it worked fine until
they learned it didn't hurt them, and then they were back for honey.  So she
tried rap music, and they have yet to return.

In my ferret history research, I also noticed ferrets being tied in with
hive raiding, so thought I would try it out on the beasties.  Gus almost
took off my thumb (well, not exactly--more like bit the spoon I was holding
except my thumb was in the way...) going for the sweet treat.  I started
giving some to the older guys (Foster, 8, and Buddy, 6) who were a bit thin,
and in a week they both have added 1/2 lb.  I was very careful, and recorded
all reactions because I was (and still am) afraid that at their age, any
pancreatic problems might be brought to the forefront by the concentrated
sugar, but they have tolerated it so far without problems.

I also noticed Buddy's stools becoming firmer; they had always been slightly
runny since I adopted him.  Can't really explain it--I'm not giving enough
honey for the sugar concentration to dehydrate him, nor for it to dehydrate
any bugs in his system.  Just weird or coincidence?

One other thing.  Since I started giving regular honey treats, raisins are
no longer "passion fruit." Bear still loves them, as does Stella, but the
rest like the honey better.  So I toothpicked a raisin, dipped it in honey,
and offered it to Bear.  As he sniffed it, I started pulling it away, and he
BARKED, and angrily pulled it back!  Now he wants all his raisins honey
dipped.

Remember Socko?  The ferret that took on the cat?  Socko visited me the
other day with a bloated abdomen (the slave lives in an FFZ and reads the
FML second hand.  Always calls me first before running 30 miles to another
town to see the vet).  Was also "tooting" somewhat, if you know what I mean.
After a hour ride, an X-ray, and $60, it turns out ol' Socko had a gas
problem from sneaking extra cooking raisins (AKA golden raisins--color due
to preserving agent, sulpher dioxide).  Had enough in the bowel to slow down
things and for the sulpher to gas up things.  Gives new meaning to the term
"tooti-fruiti"....

Bob and the Magnificent 13