From:
Anna Carolyn Abney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:40:25 EST
First of all, I've changed Vyko's name to Tymora (goddess of luck),
because if she survives, she will be one lucky girl, and I don't want
any part of her life with that bloody woman to still be attached to her.

We discovered why she was not returned to the shelter but was instead
foisted off on someone for free.  She is adrenal.  Bad adrenal.  I
haven't seen many ferrets and just thought she was a little skinny and
had "hair loss from fleas", like I was told.  Well, being in a new place
perked her up because she is a ferret and must explore.  But in the past
couple of days she crashed badly.  We went to the ER vet tonight and got
sub-q fluids (she was extremely dehydrated) and have mixed up a calorie,
vitamin dense concoction along with electrolytes that is being repeated
hourly, if not more.  She will be getting more fluids tomorrow and
continued as needed.  However, she is so bad that she needs the adrenal
surgery soon.  And since my adoption of her was a very sudden and quick
thing (the woman told me she had a week to get rid of her or take her to
a shelter), I was not prepared, nor even told, for a sick ferret.  She
will get her surgery, no question there.  When I take in an animal, I
take care of her.  But I need to find some group or something that can
help me pay for this.  I am a college student working a low paying job
and I was completely not financially prepared for this.  I don't know
what to do.  I am so furious with the woman who gave her to me.  She
was supposed to have her treated when she got her, because her contract
stated "definite signs of adrenal gland disease" and that she was to have
her checked out and treated.  The people who originally rescued her were
absolutely shocked at her condition.  I feel so stupid, but I didn't
know, and I've only had her for a few weeks and she looked like this
when I got her.

Gods, I feel like a moron for not knowing sooner and getting her into a
vet as soon as I got her.  The lady had me believing she was elderly and
therefore not so active.  I only recently learned they act like kittens
until they are nearly dead.  The guilt is unbearable, but I will do what
it takes.  I have to.  What else is there to do?  And she has wiggled and
"dooked" her way into my heart so quickly.  I was a wreck at the vet,
sobbing and crying.

Anna and Tymora
Greenwood, SC