Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:10:11 EST
Before I got my ferrets I read everything I could find regarding ferrets
and their care.  I also called several different veterinarians to try and
find the perfect one for my gang.  I read that some ferrets have had
severe reactions to their vaccinations, and that if it happened it usually
would happen on the third, and last, injection.

Well, after talking with my vet in great length about this, the time had
come for all the gang to get their final injection.  We live about 25
miles from my vet's office so we always sit and wait after their
injections.  It had been about 10 minutes.  We took their cage out to the
waiting room so the doctor could see other patients.  We had just sat
down, and all of a sudden Boomer started throwing up!  In denial, I
thought perhaps it was just the car ride, or the stress from the visit.
Duh!  I had my son get some paper towels so I could clean the cage.  Just
as I picked Boomer up he went as limp as a dish rag.  "Get the doctor," I
screamed!  I guess the doctor had an injection already prepared, just in
case, because he was there in a flash.  I was soooo scared.  It was the
most heart wrenching experience to watch my poor little guy vomit, and
pooped (bloody diarrhea), at the same time.  He would cry out in pain
every time he would throw up.  I couldn't hold back the tears.  I just
started praying.  My vet was wonderful.  He kept reassuring us that
everything would be okay.  Boomer got three more injections.  One, I know
was Tagamet, for his stomach.  Even after Boomer started coming around my
vet was so kind as to offer to take him home and watch him.  I felt like
he was going to be fine so we took him home.  Later that evening the
doctor called to see how Boomer was doing.  I thought that was so very
thoughtful.  I knew he was a good doctor, and person, even before all this
happened.  Every time we went to see him he would always love on, and even
kiss, our babies.  As for Boomer, it took him a couple of days to get all
his strength back.  Bart and Tinker can tell you " He's back to his onry
self again."