From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:55:41 -0700
>Boiling makes the bones softer and easier to chew.  These are carnivores,
>and they evolved to eat raw food and bones.  Try other meat treats as
>well.  They'll thank you for it.

Most vets I've known would advise never, ever giving chicken bones raw or
cooked to any animal.  Period.  They are notorius for "splintering", and
cooked bones do this more easily than raw.  Also, there are no stats on
how many wild animals die from the effects of a punctured bowel each year.

In the wild an animal tends to eat "all" of the bird including
feathers/fur and it is thought the "extras" that a wild animal consumes
could be what protects them from being too easily damaged by bone
splinters.

I would advise against uncooked meat also as there is a risk of salmonela
(or other lovely microbes if you choose a different meat).  Whatever you
do, never ever give a creature raw hamburger if you are going to give raw
treats as hamburger really is the most dangerous meat out there.

Lorraine
 & Al (the sock warrior)