From:
Deena Canal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:26:11 -0400
The auction pages are growing way beyond merely listing auction items.  It
is a public display of our attempts to protect our pets and show the
illogical actions taken against ferrets in the name of public safety.  To
really show how big the issue is though, we need everyone's input.  And here
how you can be heard:

1-The burning candle petition by the CA DJ.  Great project.  We have 2800
plus subscribers to the FML but only 84 entries on the petition.  This is
less than 3%.  (http://members.aol.com/bcanals/candles.htm)

2-Rabies Testing Rollcall - Ferret people keep telling other people, this is
a bigger issue than you think, it's not just a few ferrets, it's lots of
ferrets.  Well, let's show them.  Let list the names, state and test result
of every ferret destroyed to be tested for rabies.  Let's make them real to
the public.  We can't put a face on the dead, let's put a name on them.
(http://members.aol.com/bcanals/rollcall.htm)

3-Stats - Exactly how many is "many".  Let's show the "I only go by the
facts" people how many, many is.  If you have access to the numbers of
ferrets destroyed in any of the states for this or the last four years,
please forward it along with how many were negative and how many were
positive and the source of the figures.  Let's show them just how many are
destroyed to acheive such a small percentage of positives.
(http://members.aol.com/bcanals/stats.htm) (if you know how much the average
cost of a test in your state is, please include it)

4- Who do we contact - Well I have read and seen addresses and names until I
can't remember who is who.  All you front line people, send the info.  We'll
gather it all togeather in one place.  Public officials - the ones who
support and oppose ferrets.  News media organizations who need to know that
someone out here doesn't want the story to go away.
(http://members.aol.com/bcanals/links.htm)

5- What can we do now - do we get tired of hearing ourselves and wait till
the next hill to stage battle or do we keep marching now.  No effort is
going to be successful unless enough people know about it to support it in a
way that gets attention.  Let's keep everyone aware of what's going on and
how they can participate.  (http://members.aol.com/bcanals/fight.htm)

Please, Kodo was only an ordinary ferret, not a superstar.  None of babies
are superstars, they are only ordinary ferrets.  What happened to Kodo could
happen to my Pudge, I need more than 3% to help me protect her.  And in turn
I will be helping to protect your ordianary baby.

Deena
Ferrets On the Go

auction page: http://members.aol.com/bcanals/auction.htm

p.s. to all who responded to my black ribbon inquiry, I now have a copy and
do appreciate all of your responses.

[Moderator's note: Thus far, there is no official auction page, though many
people have generously volunteered.  One of the tasks before "round two" is
to arrange for frequent and/or automatic updates to a web page, which isn't
all that difficult actually.  BIG]