Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:31:50 -0500
I don't know whether getting ready for work in the morning is more of an
adventure for the ferrets or us!  Well, for us, "adventure" isn't quite the
word I'd use.

After getting them all up, they head for the kitchen, of course.  Wiping
up water off the floor where Oliver went swimming in the water bowl is my
first task.  (He use to be able to curl up in it when he was a kit.) This
normally happens 2 to 3 times every morning (nighttime is no exception).
Getting nipped on the ankles--Hay you up there give me some treats!
Sometimes you just get "the face" looking up at you instead (my preference,
or the cold wet nose like Rowdy use to do).  Trying to get all the gravy
dished out and make sure the right ferret gets the right bowl with medicine
in it.  No, wait, that's Harley's yours is in the microwave.  As Chico is
scratching at the cupboard door where the freeze-dried liver treats are.

Taking a shower is always, umm interesting.  Fighting your way in the
shower without them.  Holding on to the door while Funny tries to open it
and water goes spewing out on the floor or he jumps in.  Kinda hard to wash
with one hand and hold on to the door at the same time (oopppsss too much
information).

Trying to get out of the shower while they're all jumping in is not so bad
as trying to dry off before they discover watery ankles-the lick, lick,
chomp.  I call that the "shower dance".  Sometimes there's not even enough
room to stand on the bath mat and dry off.  I've learned to hurry and roll
my hair up in the towel, dry feet and ankles first, and hurry and slip on
sandals.  Of course, we could shut the bathroom door, but what's the fun
in that.

Brushing teeth, straddling a ferret or two (usually Harley and/or Pooh) on
the rug between the legs.  Sadie likes to dig on my leg to be picked up.
I'm brushing my teeth, leaning over the sink and bending down to pet her
(no she's not spoiled).  Meanwhile toothpaste is running down my chin,
oopppsss won't go there.

Then it's "bed time".  They all get thrown up on the water bed for
frolicking.  They snorkel under the sheets and blankets, get in the
pillowcases, pounce on each other (wish I had a video camera).  The purpose
of "bed time" is so you can get in the drawers without any help or crawling
in the drawers to that hidden space underneath the waterbed they all love
so much.

You think, aha, now I can quick get to the closet without more help.  As
soon as you open the door (I think their ears are in tune to that sound) to
rush in grab cloths, rush out and close the door.they all jump off the bed
like at a swim meet after the gun goes off.  The rest of the crew who were
off playing/sleeping somewhere appear out of no where (imagine that).  OK,
so you grab a few ferrets and carry them out of the closet, go back for the
others at the same time the first ones go back in the closet (get the
picture).  Guess we'll have to put up yet another barrier to climb over,
sigh (but that would be too easy).

You get them all out and close the closet door, whew.  The next task is to
get dressed without help.  Ha!  Putting on nylons is not an easy task with
them climbing up my legs, not to mention a dress-waahooo, lets hang from
mom's dress.  After you put your shoes on (like they have never seen them
before) they clamp on and you end up dragging them along as you leave the
bedroom (especially Brandy if they have tassels or woven leather she can
sink her little teethies into).

The next task before you leave for work is to find them all and put them in
their cages while they're trying to get out as fast as you put them in.
They give you "the face" again (Mom, we weren't do'in nothin', we'll be
good we promise).  This is where I feel guilty and wish I could stay home
with them instead of going off to work.  But then, where would the
"adventure" be?

Mary and The 12 Munchkins (Mom, Dad, we were just helpin' ya!)