From:
Elizabeth Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:34:07 -0400
Greetings to all,

I know it's been a couple of weeks since I've posted here, and there's a
good reason for that.  I was offered another job, in another town, and was
packed and moved all in less than two weeks.  As a result, I no longer have
a computer at home, and right now the machine at my new office is the only
one I have access to, and it wasn't even set up until late yesterday.  But
the job is great, I got to move back to my hometown, as did my boyfriend,
and we are having a good time so far aside from the stress of unpacking.

Now the problem: My boyfriend and I had been living together for a little
over a year when we took the jobs back here in Birmingham (we were in
Montgomery for those of you who don't know me), but came to a decision to
seek seperate residences up here.  My apartment complex has a strict pets
policy: ONE animal per apartment, with a $350 fee.  Well, having two ferts
and a cat kinda stretches that policy.  I thought that my boyfriend was
going to take the ferrets, he thought I was.  So for the time being they
are secretly staying in my place, or so I thought.  When I got home from
work last night I found a completed service order in my bathroom, and part
of the work they did was of course in the sunroom where the kids are
staying.  SO know my complex knows that I've been hiding them, and I'm
very afraid that it's just a matter of time before I get the notice to
get rid of them or move out.  I expressed my concern for the little guys
to my boyfriend's parents a few days ago, and they cal!  led last night
to say that their daughter and son-in-law (meaning my BF's sister and
brother-in-law) REALLY want to keep the ferrets for me until I can afford
to move out of the apartment into a place of my own that will allow me to
keep my babies with me.  So now I know that I have a loving house for them
to go to should that need arise, and since my babies LOVE the
brother-in-law very much (I sometimes think they prefer him to me) I really
think they would be happy there.  I am still living out of boxes, and
haven't quite fert-proofed the new place yet, so they really aren't getting
as much free time as they are used to, and they seem to be sleeping an
awful lot.

Of course the boyfriend doesn't want me to give them up either, but since
he can't take them to his place (we got them together, and as I said before
had been living together until recently) I really don't see any other
options should my building give me notice to get them out.  My BF's parents
also said that they would be happy to keep them for a while until their
daughter got her place ready for them, so I can move them tonight should I
need to.  I will of course give them all of the kids' things (cages, etc)
and will most certainly go over there every chance I get since they will
only be 20-30 minutes away.

SO what should I do?  I don't want to give my babies up, but I'm sick
inside thinking about how they aren't getting the love and attention they
deserve, and waiting for my complex to come down on me for having them.  I
know that they will be taken care of with the sister and brother-in-law,
and know that I will have free range to come play whenever I want, but I
still feel like that would be abandoning my little guys.

If anyone has any suggestions, or comments, please feel free to email me
privately.  I hope that I don't receive flames for this, and that you will
all see the turmoil that I am going through in trying to decide what's best
for my little ones.  I would have never gotten tied into this apartment if
I had any other options, but in having only 10 days to find a place, and in
being faced with finding something I could afford on my own after sharing
expenses with my BF for so long, there wasn't really anywhere else to go.
Anyone who has talked with me here (or the few of you that I have had the
honor to meet in person) can tell you that I love my two babies fiercely,
and would do anything to keep them safe with me.  I'm being told by
everyone around me (including my parents) to take them to a pet store to
sell on consignment, but I just can't do that.  Yes, the money would be
EXTREMLY helpful at a time when I am between paychecks, but not knowing
where my kids are, and if they are bein!  g loved and taken care of isn't
worth all the money in the world.  The family who wants them now has been
wanting to get some kids of their own, but don't have alot of money.  If I
can share the joy of fert ownership with them (and of course continue to
provide for my babies as long as possible) I think it would work out well
for everyone involved.

I apologize for this being so long and drawn out (and should apologize to
all my co-workers who are walking by wondering why I am crying at my desk
as I write this) but I really didn't know who else to talk to about it.
If there is ANYONE out there who is, or has been, in a similar situation
please let me have any advice that you might have.  I will do whatever it
takes...

thank you, Elizabeth
Miko and Mia