From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:02:07 -0800
Dear All,

The past couple months have been crazy here. I stopped the world, which
is hard for a shelter op to do, and spent the first week of Dec in
Arizona with my family to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday. Then back
to Maryland and prepping the shelter for a possible bad Winter. To
those that were Rocky's Santas, thank you so very much. We so enjoyed
receiving those mysterious boxes and cracking em open!!! To the secret
Santas that put $ on Rocky's Totally Ferret Account...wow! How did you
know we needed some grub! ....and for those that donated on our vet
account, now this is a bit awkward, I don't know who did what! I was
told by one Santa that she'd made a donation, but otherwise I wouldn't
have known. So please, contact me if you did, sometimes the clinic
staff neglects to let me know, and there's been a time before where it
was credited to the wrong account. So don't be shy, please do let me
know. I want to share two wonderful Christmas happenings.

A few days before Christmas a landlord discovered his tenants had
vacated, and 3 ferrets were left to fend for themselves. This wonderful
businessman had such great heart, and sought out Rocky's to make sure
they would be taken care of. If that wasn't kind enough, he's asked
to be contacted if our shelter is doing any fundraising, or has any
desperate needs, and he left a donation to help with the 3 elder kids
he'd brought me. Eh, what would Christmas be without a rescue!! I'm
naming the big guy in the trio Tiny Tim, only fitting I think!

Next, was an amazing adoption............ A Christmas Miracle of
sorts; this story starts off with me being in chat w/ Debbie Polhill
Saunders /Big Lick Ferret Shelter/Roanoke, Va. She mentioned that
she'd just referred a potential adopter that lived in Sterling, Va to
me. I received, processed and approved their great application and
scheduled a visit. Blair, a stray from last Sept, insisted that he
wanted to be held, cuddled and given a new home. The couple agreed!

The husband then walked up to the infamous permanent resident
twice-adopted twice returned been at Rocky's for four years
never-getting-out-of-dodge Baby Bubba. The man commented on his cute
nose and went to touch it, as Baby Bubba was pathetically staring at
him, burning a hole in his soul. I immediately cautioned that BB was a
very bad biter. Rather than step away, he immediately became intrigued
and his heart melted. Seems that he and their beloved ferret had the
same start in life, and he'd successfully worked through those issues,
with a great understanding, patience...almost losing the tip of his
thumb. Eh, Baby Bubba bites, is that all that's holding this boy back
from ever having a forever home was the man's feelings.

Not only did runaway Blair find his forever home yesterday, but the
Christmas miracle of Baby Bubba happened. All these years of caring for
Baby Bubba, after all he was a baby when he first arrived......and now
I only had a moment to love and tell him goodbye....I wasn't ready, but
I was, but I wasn't. My heart went out the door with these babies.

I couldn't have been more thrilled with this adoption to this couple,
Amanda and Jesus, and grateful to Debbie Saunders for her selfless
networking, it was just meant to be.

 ................................And yes, in this Christmas miracle
adoption the man's name really was Jesus!

Thank you all for the love and support in 2011, and I look forward to
2012 being the best year ever!

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs