From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:03:01 -0800
BIG...I do not have explicit permission to post this....I leave the decision
to post or hold to you.

[Moderator's note: Not 100% sure, but I generally view letters from
organizations who have asked for our help as fair to post.  BIG]

Ferret Lovers,

I have a response from Lori Badura concerning the ferret survey.  I believe
she is sincere when she says that there will be no ferret experimentation in
this study, or in any other study that may result from the info gathered in
this survey.

I withdraw any opposition to the survey and suggest it's support.

Her response, in it's entirety, follows:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

as a reproductive neuroendocrinologist, studying the neurochemical
regulation of the neuroendocrine system, and sites and mechanisms of action
of anticonvulsant drugs, using seizure-prone mice and hamsters as my
experimental subjects.  I have never, nor do I ever intend, to use ferrets
as laboratory subjects.  I have "owned" (I am hesitant to use that word, as
they own me more than the other way around) by 8 ferrets over the past
decade.  I have lost several of these precious animals to different forms of
cancer, and I am attempting via this survey to gather data regarding the
influence of husbandry, neutering, and feeding practices on general ferret
health across the world.  As a ferret lover, my aim with this survey is
simply to collect data that will benefit the well-being, not only of Zachary
and Kahli (my mustela children), but also ferrets everywhere.

I understand your concern about my career which involves animal research.
It may interest you to know that I am a member of our university
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and am a staunch advocate of
responsible and justified animal research, while at the same time being a
vocal opponent of unnecessary and unjustified work.  Perusing the net under
the National Science Foundation, you will find descriptions of my past and
currently funded research, which should address your fears that I may use
ferrets as experimental animals.  Quite frankly, I could never use ferrets
as research subjects, except in this survey approach.

While your views regarding animal research are certainly your own to
maintain and share, I do hope that you will not interfere with this honest
attempt to use my training as a scientist to improve our understanding of
ferret health issues.  I am also working closely with two veterinarians who
specialize in ferret disorders, and together, we hope to address the
controversy that exists about such issues as the health effects of early
neutering practices.

If you require further information or clarification, please do not hesitate
to contact me.  I appreciate individuals asking me for clarification of the
purpose of this survey, especially if they gather that information before
voicing opposition to parties that are not necessarily aware of the
pertinent facts, nor involved in the current project.

Cordially,

Lori L. Badura, PhD
SUNY @ Buffalo

End of Baduri post.

Notice that I am being scolded in the last paragraph.  I can only suggest
that some of the above info should have been included in the very first
survey request post to the FML.

Glenn J.