From:
Sherry Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 13:26:45 -0400
I haven't posted in awhile, due to wedding planning, surgery in 8 days,
working with our club and having a very energetic litter of 9 week old
ferrets.  But something happened the other day that I would like to share
with you all.

Actually the story begins about 3 years ago.  Scarlett Gray, our club
president, shelter mom, absolute ferret nut was called to pick up a rescue
that was found near a dumpster at a restaurant.  This poor little ferret
had not only become malnourished and skittish, she was obviously very sick
with adrenal disease, with no hair on her body.  This was Scarlett's first
adrenal rescue.  She nursed the rescue, whom she dubbed 'Precious' back to
health, and had her adrenal surgery done.  This was back at the time when
the club was still new and Scarlett was financing all of her rescue work
on her own.  Chuck and I were at our first meeting, when Scarlett brought
Precious down and was proudly showing off her first signs of hair coming
back.  It was our first experience of seeing an adrenal ferret as well.
She looked just pitiful, no fur on her back, ribs and spine clearly
visible.  And inwardly, I just wondered how Scarlett could cuddle this
poor, ugly little ferret.  This was back when I had two, perfectly healthy
fat little ferrets, and hadn't seen how pitiful they can be, and how much
love you can give them and watch them recover.

It became clear that Precious was deaf, and when her fur came back in, she
was a blaze.  Precious was always afraid of other ferrets, so she had a
cage to herself.  After awhile she developed cataracts, probably from the
stress of her earlier situation.  So, here was this poor deaf and blind
ferret, of unknown age that we all grew to love.  Every time I was at
Scarlett's I always made sure to get Precious out, cuddle her a little,
and give her some ferretone.  It seemed the least to do for a little ferret
with such a dark, quiet life.  But she was always sweet, always seemed to
appreciate the attention.  Scarlett said she always liked her time in the
playpen, as well, sniffing things and thinking whatever ferrets think.
Scarlett said she would never be adopted out, because of her medical
problems, but I think it was as much as because Scarlett loved her and
wanted to make sure she always got special attention in her condition.

Saturday night, we discovered that Precious was dying.  She was cold to the
touch, and stiff, although she was still breathing.  With all of her health
problems, and unknown age, and fragile disposition, we realized she was
better off being allowed to slip away.  Scarlett wrapped her in a baby
blanket, and sat holding her, caressing her, and talking to her, and we
both cried.  Precious was mostly quiet, still breathing, although she tried
valiantly to use the litter box when she needed to.  Scarlett put her in,
and the poor thing couldn't even stand up.  Scarlett continued to hold
Precious until about 3 hours later, she went to the Rainbow Bridge.  I know
that there, Precious can see, and hear and feel good, and maybe she isn't
so afraid of the other ferrets there.

Precious could have ended her life at that dumpster.  Who knows how much
love and affection she was shown in her previous life, although anyone
who'd dump a ferret because she was sick doesn't strike me as a deeply
affectionate person.  But for 3 years, she was nursed, fought for, loved
and cherished as her name implies.  All because of a brave shelter mom
who puts her heart on the line for these kids.  These are the true heros
among us.

To Precious, my hopes that she is happy and healthy and having fun.  To
Scarlett, my total admiration, respect and care.

Sherry