From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:25:47 -0000
Linnea:

If your parents don't like the smell of your Buttons, by all means use the
spray.  Their good will towards Buttons is very important.  *But* you should
also put a freshly sprayed Buttons back into fresh, clean bedding every day
as long as they think the odor is a problem.  Change the blankets and the
hammock too.  Scoop the box and change the paper daily.  If you tell your
mother that you have learned that the bedding is the most important part of
having a sweet ferret, she should be willing to allow for whatever
purchase/laundry adjustments are needed.

I have used Four Paws deodorizing spray and find it to work pretty well.
When I was still bathing my guys weekly, I had to use the spray by the
second or third day and then daily until their next bath.  Recently I have
used it when we were away for a week (the sitter is great but does not
change the bedding often) and wanted to reduce their odor until daily
bedding changes helped them get sweet again.  I did the same when they all
had colds recently and seemed to get stinkier.  Eventually they just plain
need a bath, but I find that spray and clean bedding can overcome a little
odor build-up.  I might do it a couple times after I bathe them even now
that I only do so every 3 or 4 months, because I think it conditions their
dry coats a bit and because the grooming begins to fool their little glands
into thinking it may not be necessary to work overtime getting stinky again.

I hold my guys with my thumb and ring finger under their front legs, and
with their bodies stretched along my arm.  I hold them off to one side (so
the airborn spray is away from us), spray their backs, then bring them close
to me and put ferretone on my index finger.  They lick while I brush them
with a soft baby brush.  When I turn them over to do their bellies, I just
support them as best I can and get it over as soon as I can.  They have
learned to tolerate this grooming very well because of the treat.

Blessings
Judith White