From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:31:18 -0500
You would have to call Animal Poison Control to see if it would be
poisonous to ferrets.

Check also w Vicks itself:
http://www.vicks.com/vaporub.php

Camphor Poisoning:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002566.htm
Including:

>Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
>
>Symptoms
>
>Twitching facial muscles
>Muscle spasms
>Excessive thirst
>Convulsions
>Rigid muscles
>Slow breathing
>Burning of the mouth or the throat
>Skin irritation
>Abdominal pain
>Nausea and vomiting
>Rapid pulse
>Restlessness or agitation
>Unusual behavior
>Unconsciousness
>
>Home Care
>Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless
>told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.

Menthol, too, can be poisonous.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002673.htm

>Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
>
>Symptoms
>
>Bladder and kidneys
>Blood in the urine
>No urine output
>Lungs
>Shallow breathing
>Rapid breathing
>Gastrointestinal
>Abdominal pain
>Diarrhea
>Nausea
>Vomiting
>Heart and blood
>Rapid heartbeat
>Nervous system
>Unconsciousness
>Dizziness
>Convulsions
>
>Home Care
>If the menthol is in ointment/cream form, wipe away any that remains
>on the skin's surface. Call Poison Control for further guidance.
>Seek immediate emergency medical care.

Heart damage from camphor:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/660774471q062598/
Includes a Camphor toxicity article:
http://www.veterinarywatch.com/Medline4.htm
<http://www.nzymes.com/Articles/pet_poisoning_dog_poisoning_cat_poisoning.htm>
http://www.drugs.com/enc/camphor-overdose.html
I don't have time to seek more deeply for you.

(If you don't mean the vaporub, some other of their products contain
Acetaminophen which can destroy a ferret's liver in even tiny amounts.)

Poison Control and helpful poisoning prevention references:

ASPCA Animal Poison Control:
http://www.napcc.aspca.org

Angell Memorial's ASPCA Poison Control:
<http://www.mspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=poisoncontrolhotline_pagewrapperlanding>

Poisons to avoid:
http://www.avonvets.co.uk/2ndyr_hands/Poisons.html

Poisonous plants with photos to help identify after an incident:
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/poison/index.html

Also, do not use toothpaste due to the fluoride (something that was not
known when we first had ferrets though I never heard of any problems
till at least 5 to 10 years later -- which might simply mean that the
risk was not known and missed if cumulative).

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: