From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:12:47 -0400
I am sorry that I haven't replied to anyone yet.  My mailbox runneth over
with replies and suggestions.  I can't respond to everyone individually
because that would take a whole day. :)  Thanks to all on your advice.

What I understand from all the email that I received is that everyone on
the internet has a super special vet and I live in the only town that
doesn't.  Where are all the good vets hiding?  I have had similar
problems with sick ferrets and vets in the past and there wasn't one vet
ever that I have met or talked to that would see my ferret today if I
promised to pay them tomorrow.  I am located in Springfield, Ohio and
there isn't one vet in my phonebook that deals with ferrets that I have
talked to that even remotely seems to give a hoot whether my ferret lives
or dies.  It's all about the money.  Period!  What a shame.  I had a sick
ferret (Baby) who was dying last year and I called all the vets in town
and explained the situation to them and they refused to see me unless I
could pay right on the spot.  The one vet who finally agreed to see me
with what little money I had really screwed me and my sick ferret good.
I took Baby to the vet and the vet checked him over and prescribed some
medicine for Baby that day.  When I went to check out I only had enough
money to cover all of the bill except for the medicine.  Would you
believe I was turned away with my dying ferret and no medicine all
because I was less than $15 shy of being able to pay the bill that day.
What a laugh that was!!  Anyway I would love to hear from someone out
there in my general location that actually has a vet that treats on
credit today for money they will get later and that gives a hoot about
my fuzzy wuzzies!!

Anyway back to Bear.  I took Bear to the vet on Monday and he was at a
whopping 5 pounds!  That is how swollen up he is in the belly and feet.
The vet stuck a needle in his belly and pulled out some fluid, came back
and told me he wasn't sure if the fluid was urine that was escaping into
the belly somehow or if it was just fluid???  He gave Bear a diuretic
shot since we weren't sure whether Bear could pee or not and sent me home
with diuretic medicine and some antibiotics (Furosemide and Baytril).  I
am suppose to keep an eye on Bear and give him these medicines faithfully
until I call the vet back on Friday with an update.  I am not sure what
will happen at that point.  Right at the moment Bear is still swollen big
but is eating, playing, and drinking just fine.  He is also peeing a ton
of liquids.  I am at a loss.  I would think he would be almost dead or
something by now.  The swelling doesn't seem to be coming down yet
either.  Does anyone have a clue at this point as to what this seems to
be leading up too???  Please let me know and I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again so much.  I am praying for my little fuzz butt. :)
Michelle