From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:07:55 +0100
zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Its not a new breed.  Just new to the United States.  I've heard nothing
>from Sweden to suggest they are any less hale than their other ferrets.
>Urban, have you?

That it's hard to get mothers to take care of their litters is, I think, a
clear indication that they aren't.  If anyone has bred them and didn't have
to resort to foster mothers I'd like to hear about it.  (This problem will
probably go away with more breeding.)

>As I understand they aren't all that rare in Sweden.

Yes, some are lost and found without being reported missing, so some people
obviously think they've got a surplus.  On the other hand those that used to
be sold in pet store usually came with half a dozen regular ferrets, with no
new batch delivered until they were all sold (previously "too old" kits
could be returned to the breeder when the next batch arrived), so at least
for some time supply couldn't keep up with demand.

>Just as most American breeders will not ship most Swedish breeders won't
>either.  They just aren't coming over here.

True, but in this case there are very few breeders (at least going about it
systematically).

>People keep complaining about the populations becoming more inbred but then
>resist the efforts to reduce that.  Silliness.

In most cases it is, but I understand those who want to keep new diseases
out.  Enlarging the gene pool is generally good.  I'm often surprised to see
how many ferrets looks like they could be relatives of mine actually are.

--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]
 Same old URL, again: http://www.kd.qd.se/%7Egriffon/ferrets/