From:
Chris Weiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 10:15:27 -0500
Hi All!
Basically, I'm a lurker, have been for about a year, but I have a question.
Anyone can feel free to jump in and answer-maybe e-mail so as not to clutter
up the FML, or on the list if you think others need the info.  Anyway, I
have four ferrets, two MF females, one male of unknown origin (badly
neglected in his first 6 months) -and a female from a private breeder.  All
are descented and neutered, all get Iams kitten and TF mixed in a free feed,
all get Ferretvite and Petromalt 2 or three times a week, and all get 1/2
raisin and 1 FerretBite as treats per day.

The two that will eat other stuff get small bits of carrots, peas, meat,
turkey, fish, whatever when I have that stuff.  They all play a lot, have a
big cage and are out about 2 hours in the morning and 2 at night.  Now that
you know the background-the private bred ferret is way bigger and heftier
than the other three.  Not fat, but big.  She is about 6 months old.  The MF
female I have that is the same age is small, but seems at a pretty good
weight.  My male (the one with the bad start) that I rescued, is small and
seems somewhat thin, but eats and drinks and plays fine.  He is one who will
eat anything.  He is about 1 & 1/2 years old.  My other MF female is 2 years
old, eats okay, plays but not as much, and seems quite thin to me-a little
sunk in at the hips.  She also poops out before the others, and goes off for
a snooze while the others are still playing.  Should I supplement the older
two with duck soup or nutrical, or are they normal?  They also have shiny
coats, but not real thick like some people say their ferrets have.  The
younger two, especially the private bred one, have thicker coats.  Overall,
the two older ones seem healthy, just thin.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

Sorry this is so long.  Thanks and Happy New Year

Chris and Willow, Smudge, Cricket, and Jazzmyn