From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1993 12:59:12 -0400
To Michelle concerning Islet cell tumors:

        My initial question is what type of hyperplasia are we dealing with -
there are two types of tissue int he pancreas that can be hyperplastic - the
endocrine tissue that produces insulin, or the exocrine tissue that produces
digestive enymes.  Before we can discuss the prognosis for Peanuts, I need to
know this info.

        Don't worry about running out of pancreas, even if an additional tumor
is located.  Ferrets have a fairly large pancreas for their species, and I've
never seen one run out of pancreas yet.

        Wheight loss IS characteristic of an insulinoma, however, many other
things can cause weight loss.  In the case of a recurring islet cell tumor, or
insulinoma, watch for any one of the following - stupor, lethargy, rapid
exhaustion, or seizures.  Animals with islet cell tumors get tired very easily
and often stop in the middle of active play for rest.

        Please let me knwo the full diagnosis on Peanut's tumor and I'l try to
fill in the rest of the picture.  I am always happy to look at the slides of the
tumor for a second opinion should you require.  Feel free to drop me a line
should you request this service.

------------------------------------

To Denise concerning a good diet -

        Denise, your vet is correct concerning a good diet for your ferret.
Most ferrets thrive on a diet of high protein dry cat food with little
supplementation.  Most people supplement with Linatone or ferretone as a treat,
and occasional scraps (every ferret has its own favorite food) and in moderation
doesn't hurt).

        Vitamin supplementation generally is not required for healthy ferrets.
A quality well balanced food such as Science Diet or Iams will contain all of
the vitamins your ferret needs, and he will get some from the Linatone too.
Don't overdo the linatone however, too much of a good thing can lead to too much
Vitamin A (great in moderation, harmful with overdosage.)

To Chris regarding Mocha:

        I'm sure that all of the participants of the list sympathize with your
loss.  Most of us have also lost ferrets, too.  I applaud your stepping in and
doing the right thing for Mocha when her time came.  Too many owners refuse to
do this and the animals suffer for the owner's reluctance.

        Our hearts are with you at this time.

Bruce Williams, DVM