From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 10:14:08 -0400
>From:    Sukie <[log in to unmask]>
>BTW: once they know that they have nothing to fear the past abuse victims
>typically become the absolutely sweetest ferrets imaginable, and certainly
the most grateful

I have taken in some biters over the past 4 yrs.  While 1 of them has never
let herself be handled by strangers, most of the others have done well.

We go with giving lots of treats.  Mostly linotone (ferretone, furotone)
mixed with 50% olive oil or just plain olive oil.  We put in on a spoon
between the bars, from the bottle or being held and from the bottle.

We radomly pick up the ferrets while they are out playing and give them
treats.  It cuts down on having them run away when I need to grab several
ferrets in a hurry and return them to their cage.

We radomly take ferrets out of their cage, carry them around, don't let
them down to play, give them a treat and return them to their cages.

I genuinely try to limit the discipline on new ferrets and terrified
ferrets.  When it is needed a good scruff and the occassional drag are
convincing enough.  Biters and terrified ferrets only become more scared
with loud noises and any type of tapping/flicking you may want to try.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

KG