Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 23:31:08 -0400
I am boarding a ferret with adrenal disease adopted from me some time
back. The ferret is approximately six years old. I gave this ferret a
melatonin implant four months ago and four months prior to that. At
those times, he was simply showing hair loss. The implant helped the
first time around but has not done much the second time. The ferret
now presents with prostate problems and aggression, though his fur is
still relatively intact, just thin in some places.

This ferret is also defecating nearly every hour. He's not having
trouble doing so, just doing it very frequently. If he has recently
eaten, there is the usual amount of stool. Otherwise, it's a very
small amount but always some and always a normal stool.

I understand adrenal disease can cause difficulties defecating, but
I didn't understand it to be in this regard. Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Of note, the ferret is also showing signs of insulinoma now, which
he did not before. I started him on Prednisilone until the owner can
return to take him to the vet.

[The family cannot afford surgery or even a Des implant at this time.
The husband lost his job some months back. They considered giving the
ferrets back, but dearly love them and wish to keep them and care for
them as best they can.]

Debbie, Kindness Matters Ferret Rescue