From:
Dayna Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:27:39 -0800
Hi all,              (Please e-mail this address instead [log in to unmask])

I got the dreadful news that my boy Gonzo has insulinoma.  I took him to
the vet because he was limping, hoping that he just bruised his leg or
something, but his blood sugar was 38.  The normal range, as I understand
it is between 90-120.  I really have tons of questions.  I know some
people do just meds, some do surgery, and some do both.  He was diagnosed
on october 29th and my vet recommended .5mL of Prednisone and a recheck
of blood glucose in 2 weeks.  I still have no definitive answer as to
which option is better.  He will be four in March I think and he lost
about .75 pounds since he last saw the vet 5 months ago.  He used to be
close to 4 pounds and now he's 3.8 pounds.  I do not know if this has to
do with the insulinoma or the fact that he recently got a brother and
sister.  I guess the most important questions i have has to do with
experience.  So if people with lots of insulinoma experience could answer
some of these questions, that would be great.

I have a six story cage for my ferrets, and Gonzo loves sleeping on the
top, It doesn't matter what type of bedding is up there, he sleeps there
most of the time.  I really don't want to put him in a smaller cage, i
just don't think he would like it.  I would much rather get rid of the
shelves with the small holes in them or somehow find a way to make bigger
holes (if you know the cage, you know what I am talking about), and get
rid of the ramps and just use shelves and bedding as stairs to the top.
If anyone can convince me either way, please get back to me.

He is already getting cranky from having no raisins, Yogies, ferretvite,
ferretlax, and pretty much everything else he likes.  I need treat ideas
people.  He is going crazy.  Ferretlax has molasses in it, but how can i
prevent against hairballs without it.  I don't think he'll like petroleum
jelly much.  (although he kinda thinks his prednisone is a treat) And i
think he will miss his foamy fries, but do I have to take away his
chewweasles?  Can anyone help here?

My vet said to feed small amounts of food frequently, but i am gone 8
hours a day.  Anyway around this one.  He is a night time eater mostly,
but if i hear him crunching too much should I take away his food.  Are
there any food out there that are better for fuzzies with insulinoma?  I
have been feeding them 4 parts 8 in one Ultimate, 3 parts Brown's
Nutrition Plus, 3 parts Zupreem, and barely one part Marshall's (just
because I think it makes their coats silky smooth).  I am no longer going
to feed Marshall's because it has Brewer's yeast and molasses.  Is there
anything else I can do in terms of food?

And finally, I don't think anyone will have an answer to these that i
will be satisfied with, but i need to get them out.  Is it somehow my
fault?  How can I stop feeling guilty for leaving him home when i go to
work?  How do i know it is time to let him go?  Should i tear out my
carpeting and get him a fuzzy wheelchair when he is no longer able to
walk?  Should i give his body to ferret research when it is time?
Anyone care to answer these?

Any way, thanks to everyone on this list.  It is so nice to know I can
count on you to know how i feel.  I know alot of you are avid readers of
the list and I apologize to you all and BIG that i haven't been able to
read a newsletter is almost 2 weeks.  I do love the list.  I will try to
read it more often, i promise.

Could anyone with answers to my questions mail me at [log in to unmask]

Dayna Kennedy, Gonzo, Kodo, Daisy, and Lily(the dog)

I LOVE FERRETS!