From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 06:40:09 -0500
Thanks to those who have replied to the query about hind end weakness so
far.  At this point we have heard of diagnoses of advanced age, cystic
urinary tract conditions, and insulinoma.  We still would appreciate hearing
from others with this experience.

Andy, I forgot to mention that when Fritter (old, with both insulinoma and
lymphoma, and reactions to medications including prednisone) and Hjalmar
(old, with malignant adrenal tumor, pad keratoses, and some similar
medication problems) we reduced the pad growths somewhat by adding zinc to
their diet with Efa-Z (available from vets), relieved a lot of pain with
massage, and improved mobility a bit by warming the limbs (floating in warm
tub worked best, but other approaches can be used), and slowly and gently
taking the limbs through some range of motion movements, within the animal's
current capability.  Both came to LOVE swimming; we think they enjoyed
actually being able to move themselves around easily.

When Helix had paralysis from juvenile lymphoma we often had her on linoleum
because she could pull herself along on it more easily.  Other times we had
her in a make-shift wheelchair with tail support.  They should be easier to
make now.  If the front end is also limited you may need it to be long and
include a chin rest, too.  The current casters are lighter weight though
smaller so that will help.  We found that the easiest way to put together
the body is to use a bendable heavy wire, and then sling separate hammocks
for trunk (with openings for waste) and tail.

Bob, We love the stinky game idea!  Have you found preferred scents, or can
we simultaneously deodorize the house with vanilla or lemon?  The closest we
came to your great idea was when we made stinky bags (starting with Helix
when she was ill) of edible (though none have sampled) herbs, spices, etc.
to keep ill ferrets interested in life.

Warp has developed a serious love of human shaped toys so I spent the
weekend using old socks, tennis balls, and thread and needles to make sock
dolls.  They love them!  (Yes, the dolls smile.)

Cheryl, the comic book character, the ferret, bears NO resemblance to our
guys, and when we once tried it we found him too nasty and violent even for
my B-grade movie temperment.

Wendy, we know of a ferret who is now used in nursing homes.  Do you recall
Harley, the seriously abused ferret we rehabed and then placed with woman
who is excellent with critter that have been through hell?  Yes, he is that
mellow now.

Around here daleks (getting under a basin and charging around blindly) is a
favorite ferret game.  Recently, they discovered how to flip over a wicker
waste bin, and prefer its whispering, wrinkling shell to any other now.
Have you ever seen the surprise on a visitor's face when a trash can comes
dashing into a room?

Dream dancer, feet flap ...
Elusive chase.  Spectral mice
Spread ghostly catnip.

(Although we have sampled manna, there's still joy to be had from a
homestyle casserole.  Hence, the above haiku, a bit of ferret lit (.)
entertainment.  Oh, a pun!  Blame Bob.  If this does not suffice as
casserole I challenge you to cook for all of us!)

Which show was the NPR ferret piece on?  They SHOULD know well enough that
ferrets are sweet; when Meeteetse first developed her strong crush on ATC's
science reporter's voice it led to a few weeks of comments.  She still
adores him!!!  Ferrets have such GREAT taste in listening!

Sukie, Steve, the 6