Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:46:02 GMT
>From:    Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Linus might have adrenal
>This could be me be a nervous mom AGAIN, but my ferret linus recently has
>been peeing a lot more than usual (3 times as opposed to once--not drinking
>more).  He's on antibiotics for a possible bladder infection, but last
>night I noticed he has a patterned hair loss (the undercoat) up his spine
>on both sides, not on top.  Not including his tail though.  Connection?
>No connection?  Seasonal?

The litterbox behavior could definitely be linked to an adrenal problem,
especially given that there's hair loss as well.  I noticed a similar
litterbox behavior with Cully, although he wasn't actually producing urine
while in the boxes-- I think that he was showing marking behavior, brought
on by the hormone levels caused by the adrenal.  I took him to the vet,
who saw via ultrasound (that plus anesthesia cost around $120 in my Boston
location, if memory serves correctly) that his left adrenal was quite
large.

The adrenal came out, and now his litterbox habits are more normal.  While
he didn't exhibit noticable hair loss, his fur has become much softer and
nicer after the surgery as well.  So, the long and short of this post is,
adrenal is a possibility your vet should check out.  I can also tell you
from my experience that while sending your ferret in for surgery is a scary
thing, it's worth it to see your ferret happy and recovered a couple of
weeks later :)

Good luck,
Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083 -somewhat messed up as I rennovate
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

Wrapped in my mongrel wings, I nearly freeze
In the howlin wind and drivin rain
All the trash blowin round 'n' round