From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:25:49 -0800
I noticed a couple inquiries about litter-training ferrets.  My two ferrets
(Elsa and Zooey) both came to me litter-trained, thank God.  However, I have
noticed that Zooey (more than Elsa) has attached reservations to her use of
the litter box: If concerning litter box usage inside the cage, she will
obey the litter box God if, and only if, it is clean (to her changing
definition), and if she can control when she leaves her cage.  When she
decides she's been in there too long, she starts to let me know via little
piles in corners.  This latter problem hasn't happened since summer, when I
moved her into my bedroom (she has free rage like my room is her room,
except at night).

She's usually really good about using the box in my room, but if she's mad
at me (like when I pay attention to Elsa, who came recently.  Zooey became
jealous after Elsa arrived), she purposely goes where she knows I don't want
her to.  She'll even glare at me, letting me know she doesn't appreciate
Elsa receiving preferential treatment.  She'll also avoid the litter box
when she's obsessed w/something that I've decided is not good for her, but
she wants.

I know ferrets have lousy sight in the daytime, but I was wondering if they
can see anything in the dark.  The reason I'm asking is b/c both Elsa and
Zooey are REALLY good about using the litter box in my room, even when I'm
not there.  But at night, they totally lose it, which is the only reason I
keep them caged up at all.  They either miss the box b/c they can't see it,
or b/c they know I can't supervise them.

just wondering, MJR (Elsa and Zooey say hi)