From:
Michelle Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 11:59:01 -0600
This is a story of really made me angry when I heard it, but I thought I'd
share it anyway.

One of my co-worker's, Linda, had been thinking about getting a ferret and
she noticed that in the paper there was an advertisement for an unspayed
female ferret for $75.  She called a couple times to make sure the ferret
hadn't been sold yet and asked me a lot of questions at work to get
information while she thought about buying the jill.  I had told her about
the fact that female ferrets can die if not spayed or bred while in heat, so
she called back and asked them about it.  Here's the response she got.

The woman was trying to sell the ferret because she was in heat and the lady
didn't want to spend the $80 (she was quoted by one vet) to spay her while in
heat.  When Linda called her back to buy the ferret, she had already died
from anemia.  Basically, rather than spend the money to spay her, they just
let her die instead.  The lady told Linda that the ferret was a gift (given
when the ferret was two weeks old, she was four or five months old when she
died) and that she figured if someone was willing to spend $75 on the animal,
they would be willing to pay to spay her.  Note that the advertisement said
that the ferret was unspayed, but she never mentioned that the animal was
already in heat until asked directly.  If I had known that, I would have gone
and gotten her myself.  That poor animal.

Michelle

--
Meet my pets.  The ferrets (Taz, Coffee, and Daphne), the gerbils (lots),
the zebra mouse (Racer), the rats (Timmy and Sue), and the fish (various).