From:
Steve Whitcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:41:53 -0500
I'm still having trouble with rocky AND chewie and soft/lightcolored
stool and or diarhea.  I've taken them to the vet, and he said there
were no parasites in the stool, and prescribed amoxicillin and
metra-somethin-zine.  (can't read the label anymore.)

It seemed to be helping for the first few days, things were solid and
dark again, but I became lax after about 3 days and left a couple days
w/o pills.  next thing I knew, the stools became soft again.

I wonder if the medicine has anything to do with it, or possibly other
variables.  Particularly diet.  About the same time as I took the ferrets
to the vet, I ran out of the newer food I had been feeding them (shepard
and greene) and switched back to what I had left of the marshal's food
for a couple of day's pending a trip to petco.  Then I switched back.  I
mixed a bit of the two together this time, but not for a week straight
like I did last time.  Figured they were pretty used to both.

Also, I intermittently add ferretone to their food, almost always add
bi-odor to the water, and feed ferret-vite, peanut butter yogie's, and
2-3 raisins a day for treats.  (only chewie gets raisins, rocky won't
touch 'em.)

Could any of this be a factor?  Also, how long would it take before a
change in food would be reflected in the stool?

And lastly, how do you feed medicine to your furkids?  I've had a
horrible time getting them to take the chicken chewable metrawhatever
meds, but the ammoxicillin is a small enough half pill I just hold them
still until they open the mouth and drop it down their throat.  They
won't touch the chicken, so I've tried breaking it into tiny pieces and
doing the same, but it doesn't seem like they get much of it this way
by the time they spit pieces all over.

Thanks !!!

Steve