Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:16:30 -0700
Greetings to all you fellow ferret slaves!

I just have to tell you what I got.  But first, a little history.

My husband and I quit smoking 8+ years ago.  He lasted 1 year and went
back.  So now, since I have become insanely in love with the adorable
little furry fuzzies, I can't afford to go back to smoking (good excuse).
Anyway, I was very upset cause my husband went back, so the rules are: no
smoking anywhere around me, I am not to see him smoking, he's not to smoke
in the car, house, yard.....you know, the whole thing.  (Reformed smokers
are terrible!) Anyway the deal is, if he ever does any of these, I get
another ferret.  Well that worked for a while.  I've had a total of 13 so
far, though 5 have passed to the Bridge.  I now have one with insulinoma,
and 6 who have had, or about to have adrenal surgery.  Consenquently, I
really have to watch how many I get, cause as you all know, the medical
costs get pretty expensive.  And I want to be able to take care of the
babies I have.

Well, I've caught my husband smoking quite a bit lately, so I just mark it
up as another ferret he owes me.  He thinks he knows my limits.  I found a
solution, two in fact.  Every time he owes me, I can get another adrenal
surgery done and not feel one bit guilty (though he'll let me do anything
I want anyway, but it makes him think about the smoking bit).

But yesterday I had to take one of my ferrets to the vet 80 miles away and
leave her for some tests.  So I spent the day shopping, snooping and etc.
I dropped by Ben Franklin and lo and behold, they have a new toy I had
never seen before.  Maybe you all have heard of them, a Scoozie Pet, and
they had two ferrets.  Sorta similar to a Furby, a interactive type pet.
Granted, they aren't exactly like a ferret, but close enough that I wanted
it.  I just happened to be checking it out when my husband calls and I had
to tell him about it.  He says to get it.  I say no, after all it is $35
and I could use the money for better ferret purposes.  But I didn't put
it back, walked around the store with it, cause if I'd put it down, then
decided to get it, it would be gone.  So thought I'd carry it around just
to be safe.

Well, as I walked around I decided, heck, he owes me so many ferrets,
I could count this as one of them.  Besides, when it comes to
Chirstmas/Birthday gifts, he has no idea what to give me.  So my answer
to this, since he wants to give me something, I have started doing his
shopping for him for my Christmas gifts.  He loves it!  So far I have two
Ferret Calendars, one Ferrets for Dummies book (which I'm having a hard
time not staying away from it), a Donald Duck Ornament (another downfall of
mine), and now my Scoozie Ferret (named him Nipper after my first ferret).
He gave me The Wit and Wisdom of the Modern Ferrets for my birthday.  Plus
an on going subscription to both Modern Ferret and Ferrets.  I just can't
seem to get enough of the ferret world!

But for those who may be interested in seeing these pets, they have a web
site that I checked out this morning.  Pretty cute, takes a bit to load,
but interesting.  http://www.scoozie.com/htdocs/pghome.html

Well, to all of you suffering the loss of a beloved furry, ferret or
otherwise, our hearts and prayers go out to you.  Those of you treating
sick babies, keep at it, it's all worth it.  And they love you for it.
You all have a good weekend.

mjo and the zoo (Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frodo, Frito,
Pepper, & Caesar and the dogs Garth and Darwin......r.i.p.  PHANTOM,
Nipper, EZ, Lightning, Cleo, & Duke)