From:
Win Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:27:27 EST
This is a repeat of a post I made several years ago about Frosty and IBD.
I think it is appropriate to repost it at this time.  It may not be word
for word but here it is anyway.

Frosty came to us by way of our vet who was to euthanize him because he
had a snaggle tooth and was un-sellable.  He had the tooth removed and
became a very big boy.  He is a ferret that loves everyone and always
wants to play even at the ripe age of three.

He developed diarrhea several weeks after his surgery to remove the
tooth.  Our vet tried many antibiotics and parasite cures and nothing
worked.  When taken off the drug, the diarrhea would return in a few
days.  We even tried Immuran with out success.  When our vet was out of
town we went to see another vet and he was perplexed with the situation.
He ran all the tests and came up with nothing.  He wanted to do a biopsy
of the intestines but read of a drug that they use to treat chickens,
turkeys and pigs for chronic diarrhea.  The drug is Tylan and as I
understand it, it is a very, very mild antibiotic that can be
administered through out the life of an animal without any side effects.
Frosty was put on this drug almost 3 years ago and is still on it.  He
does not have diarrhea any longer and still weighs in around 4 pounds.
I have taken him off the drug several times to see if the condition has
gone but in all cases, within a few days, the diarrhea returns with a
vengeance.  So, it looks like he will be on it for the duration.

Tylan is available from your vet or some of the internet sites.  It costs
about $35 to $45 a bottle and that will last a single ferret three years
or until the expiration of the Tylan.  It is mixed 1/8 teaspoon to one
quart of water.  It can be used by the ferrets as a substitute for their
drinking water or about 5 ccs by syringe by mouth every day.  It will not
harm the other ferrets that aren't afflicted by disease.  I keep the
solution in the refrigerator.

I am not a vet but put forth this information to pass along to your vet
for his or her use.

Win and the crew.  Remembering Zeke who passed last month.