Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:07:41 -0700
Greetings,

Although I'm not much in the mood these days, I did promise to drop the FML
a note to inform those who are interested about the outcome of our situation
with Milo.  (5yo Silvermitt from Marshal Farms)

As a recap: Milo exhibited signs of adrenal tumor about a year ago (the
classic hair loss).  The vet we were seeing at that time could not determine
that there was a problem with either adrenal, and since he grew his hair
back, dismissed the whole event as a weird reaction to something Milo had
gotten into.

More recently, Milo became obviously ill, and we took him in to a different
vet.  Under this vet's care, Milo had surgery to remove a very enlarged left
adrenal.  The right was also enlarged, but of questionable concern.  More
urgent, was a tumorous mass the vet could not identify (nor could two
pathologists) in the neighborhood of the prostrate, which was infected.

In the course of the following days, Milo tore open his stitches
(disemboweling himself) twice, nearly doing himself in.  But each time he
came near death, he also rebounded in a manner that instilled great (but
guarded) hopes for his recovery.  He would eat heartily one day, then cough
up blood the next -- it seemed to almost be a cycle of good and bad days.

Ultimately, though, there was not enough we could do for him.  And Milo died
in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

An autopsy revealed that his body was actually full of tumors, especially
connected to his urinary system -- tumors on his kidneys, tumors on the
prostrate -- tumors, tumors everywhere.  Milo really didn't have a prayer,
and I feel guilty for putting him through an extra week of pain and
suffering that he need not have gone through.  There were several points in
the saga where I had to make the choice between putting him down and
continuing.  I wanted to give him a fighting chance, but in retrospect, my
choice feels pretty selfish.

So, those of you who have felt guilty for choosing a humane path, unsure of
whether or not it was premature -- take note that the other side of that
coin is no better -- certainly it was worse for Milo.

For those who notice the slightest sight of problems in your furry, do not
hesitate.  Take him to the vet, and have the surgery if that's what seems
warranted -- don't wait.  And don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

If you have access to such things, and have the interest -- this was an
interesting enough case that Milo's doctors may write it up (if they can get
enough information out of the pathology).  Their names are Chappel and
Wolfe.

Thanks for all the messages offering suggestions and support, they've been
appreciated.

Milo now rests in the garden under a bed a beautiful flowers, we will not
soon forget him.

Take care of your loved ones,
                              - CT