From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:16:03 -0500
Hi, everyone.

Valerie posted asking to administer melatonin for adrenal disease.  To be
honest, I have not done any research on this, but I am quite sure that
nothing can take the place of surgery.

Valerie, my advise to you is operate, operate, operate!  Unless your
ferret is not a good surgical candidate due to health problems, then that
adrenal should come out.  If your vet is not experienced with ferret
adrenal surgery, we can recommend three in our area.  You are doing that
ferret no good by having that tumor sit inside its belly growing...I just
had to euthansize a ferret because the adrenal tumor had grown so big that
it attached itself to the kidney and several other places.  Adrenal
disease is not pretty if left unchecked.  If your ferret is not a good
surgical candidate, I suggest a Lupron injection.  One 4-month injection
(or was it three months?) cost us $400, I think.  My vet charges about
$130 for the surgery.

-Mark Zmyewski, President
 Cloud Nine Ferrets, Inc.
 A non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization