From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:34:36 EST
>... it sounds like all my ferrets are going to get ill sooner rather than
>later and I'm going to lose them... So guys, please tell me that there are
>healthy, non-adrenal, non-insulinoma, just plain non-cancerous ferrets out
>there.

Sure I can tell you that there are totally healthy ferrets out there that
will never get ill - but that's not the truth.  The truth is that ferrets -
like any other living organism will from time to time take ill.  Some
illnesses will be serious, and some not so serious.

Some ferrets do live long and relatively healthy lives.  Some of them will
live an average lifespan, and some will sadly die young.  Not all ferrets
get adrenal disease or other cancers, not all ferrets will suffer
insulinoma.  But, there is no way to predict which will and which will not.
All you can do is try your best to provide your ferrets a healthy diet and
environment.  I firmly believe that both diet and lighting play important
roles in the health of ferrets.  Since ferrets are not cats and have
different nutritional needs than cats, I choose to feed them ferret food
rather than cat food.  It seems to work here.  I also try to provide them
with as natural a lighting environment as possible.  The ferrets here have
the room with the most direct natural light and seldom have artificial
lights on in their room after dusk.  I am not saying this is THE answer, I
really wish I could - I could make a fortune marketing the perfect ferret
lifestyle handbook.  But it has worked here for me so far.  I have had
three ferrets live past 10 years of age to die peacefully in their sleep of
old age, and have yet to experience a single case of adrenal disease or
insulinoma.  I honestly believe that is as much luck on my part as anything
I have done.  But, like I said - you do what seems to work the best.

Scott