From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:28:15 -0800
Re Breeding for temperment: I agree with most of what was said but got the
impression at the end that when discussing breeding for conformation etc.
that you didn't think it was necessary to breed for temperment and if so I
do disagree.

I believe it is very necessary to consider temperment when breeding -
actually breeding and health I think should be the primary considerations.
I don't think temperment precludes breeding for hunting ability either
(without resorting to the use of polecats), you can do both - have a ferret
that's predisposed toward not nipping (obviously environment is going to
play a role) and is still keen on hunting.  Dog breeders do it all the
time.

As for BARF - just to clarify for the uninitated out there - not all raw
chicken bones are ok.  Most people stick to using wings and the backs -
smaller bones, less risk.  lots of cartiledge.  And cooked chicken bones
are still DANGEROUS.

Cooking makes the bones very brittle and splintery (is that a word?:)
Going "natural" is not for the uncommitted - you really have to study to
make sure you understand what you need to do - then you have to do it on a
regular basis and constantly assess your animal.  And how would you know if
your animals bones were getting brittle from missing some trace mineral?
Scary.

Quite a bit is known about dogs nutritional needs, they have been studied
for a long time.  Dr. Billinghurst has done a lot more study on BARF.  I
would be incredibly hesitatant (read NOT) to hare off and put my ferrets on
the same diet.  They have not been studied as much and no vet has assessed
the incrediants for an assembled raw diet.  You'd probably better off
feeding live mice (hey don't flame me I don't do it!) and supplementing
with kibble and ferretvite.

Mary

"Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations,
caught with ourselves in the net of life and time," Henry Beston