Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:10:12 +1300
What is ferret proofing?  To a ferret, it's a game, a challenge, and fun!
To prove this, my ferrets decided to show me just how easy it was to escape
the "ferret proofed" room.

My ferret room (also my room ;o) ) used to be the lounge room of an
open-plan house.  In other words... no doors, and no walls to speak of.
Not easy to ferret proof!!  So, one half-wall was put up for privacy,
mounted on a solid backed bookcase so that it wouldn't be able to tip and
hurt the ferrets.  The main cage (six ft high) was put against one wall,
and other cages nearby.  Another half wall was put by a second bookcase,
which was placed beside the main cage, alas with no backing.

There was a gap behind the main cage, leading to the 'great outdoors' which
the ferrets managed to squeeze through.  Escape one.

The back of the bookcase was blocked off, so they proceeded to climb up the
cage and onto the bookcase.  Escape two.

A wall was put up and nailed to the bookcase so they couldn't get through
the gap.  They pushed at the wall and squeezed through one side near the
original gap.  Escape three.

The ferret proofing wall was nailed to the main house wall behind the cage.
They squeezed through to the other side and got out that way.  Escape four.

A cover was put over the wall to discourage climbing, and nails placed in
strategic places so they couldn't push through.  They managed to squeeze
through anyway.  Escape five.

By this time, I'm getting frustrated, and decide to move the half wall so
they get a little more space, and so that their 'escape route' through the
gap only leads to part of the area they're allowed in.  They simply climb
on top of the bookcase, and jump four feet down, over the half wall.
Escape six.

Things are placed strategically on the bookcase to discourage their
climbing onto it and jumping over.  They're strategically kicked OFF the
bookcase and some used as leverage to partially move the bookcase away from
the wall so a gap is created.  No more jumping four feet, they now slide
down safely.  Escape seven.

I remove the bookcase from the room altogether, placing it on the other
side of the half wall.  The ferrets then proceed to climb up the cage
again, lean OVER as far as they can, and leap for the wall, to scramble
over it.  Escape eight.

The 'wall' previously used to keep them from climbing through the gap above
the bookshelf is now erected on top of the half wall so that it's now over
six feet high.  The ferrets climb onto the roof of the cage, and leap onto
the barrier, slide down to the top of the bookcase, and down that way
<sigh> Escape nine.

An extra piece of board is set up so that the 'wall' reaches the ceiling.
The ferrets then go back to climbing the cage, leaping for the central part
of the barrier, carefully balancing themselves as they squeeze themselves
past the wall and over another section of the half wall.  Escape ten.

I'm getting heartily sick of rearranging this wall and the room.
Obviously, it's not going to work.  The main cage is moved to another wall,
the extra sections added to the half wall are dismantled, and so far, cross
fingers, escape eleven has yet to come to pass.  No thanks to the efforts
of those ferrets.

Now, they're in demolish the room mode...

Sam