From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:38:23 -0400
>From:    Harasti <[log in to unmask]>
>Judge not less the be judged!  I think it is wrong for people to post
>negative comments about Mark and his ferrets.

Define "negative".  Something you disagree with?  I didn't see any flames
directed towards Mark ("flame" being defined as an attack on Mark's
personal being: questioning his intelligence, parentage, or like
statements).  Just statements that he knew the risks of what he did, and
is now paying the consequences, and some people feel that he shouldn't
expect everyone to jump in with funds to help out (actually I'm sure Mark
*doesn't* expect everyone to help him out, but it seems that other people
do).  If YOU want to send him or anyone else in his situation money to help
out, you have that right.  But don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

>If you feel you do not wish to help him that is your choice but you do
>not have the right to criticize him for what he felt was right to do at
>the time.

The great thing about the good old US of A (and many other countries as
well) is that anyone has the right to criticize anyone for anything.  I'm
getting tired of the prevailing trend on this list (and others) that
"Everyone has a right to their opinion, UNTIL I disagree with it.  Then I
want you to shut up."  As soon as someone disagrees with another person's
opinion, or with a statement made in a discussion, they label it a "flame"
and demand that the other person be quiet, and ask why BIG "let that post
through".  But these same people want to have their say without censor.
It's hypocritical.  Calling something a "flame" doesn't make it so.

Anyone can of course feel free to disagree.  I won't accuse anyone of
"flaming" me unless you make specific derogatory comments directed at my
person, rather than my opinions.

>From:    Ron Carter <[log in to unmask]>
>I certainly hope you are alone in this opinion.  True he knew that ferrets
>are against the law in CA.  But does that give the F&G Gestapo the right
>to confiscate his pets?

Actually, it does.  It doesn't make it "right", but it definitely *gives
them the right*.  That's why Jeanne Carley and so many others are working
to have new laws put in place, so that the F&G *no longer have the right*
to take people's ferrets away.

>Through out American history, we have stood up to tyranny, and fought for
>our rights.  That is all that Mark is doing.  He is being an American.

And often people have paid for civil disobedience.  That's unfortunately
what's happening now.  It doesn't obligate anyone to help him out
financially.  However, people are free to do so if they they want to.

>Faith, please don't take this as a flame because it isn't.  You publicly
>stated your opinion and I am doing the same.  Where do you think that we
>got the right to do this?

Well, at least you know the difference between "flaming" and
"disagreement".  I hope others can learn the difference as well.

>From:    Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
>the line when the animal is ill.  Only tracking can help "clean up" the
>lines.

To provide an example from another species of the truth of this: The
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was a breed that over the years developed a
very high incidence of some types of cancers.  The breed club decided to do
something about this by starting a registry specifically to track cancer
incidence and which lines of dogs were most affected.  Gradually they were
able to significantly increase the incidences of cancer in the breed as a
whole.  The Bernese Mt. Dog club took them as an example and started a few
years ago a registry of their own.  It can work, but people have to be
willing to put politics and personal differences aside in order to do it.
Those who claim to be working "for the ferrets" and yet can't put aside
personal conflicts are lying to themselves and everyone else.

Karen
"The snake is an animal. It has a backbone and heart. It has red blood and
drinks water and eats food. It breathes air and feels fear, just like every
other animal in the world. And it's in a body that is the hardest thing for
the average person to understand."
                -- Dave Barker, herpetologist
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html