From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:07:30 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=569

The left adrenal gland gland is usually good news (despite the bad
pathology report) because it can usually be removed completely.  Now to
answer the other part of your question: what can be done to prevent this
from happening on Kodi's right adrenal gland.  There are 3 basic options
to treat/or prevent the stimulation to the adrenal gland(s).
1) is Lupron depot, 2) is melatonin (pills, liquid, or the mink implant),
3) is to keep your ferret in a dark room for 14 hours a day (ie winter
like light condition).  These are the options to consider and to talk
over with your vet.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM
Dallas, TX.

PS in my practice both adrenal glands usually end up being a problem and
the right adrenal gland is harder that the left to remove completely.
That is why I would seriously consider treating to prevent the problem
from developing on the right side.

[Sukie note: We provide very dark sleeping areas and cage covers at night
(with a/c to not get hot) because ferrets are descended from crepulscular
(dawn and dusk activity) den dwellers who would have been used to a lot
of dark and because light -- including artificial light reduces the
body's normal production of melatonin which serves many functions in the
body.  We have had only two ferrets in 20 years get tumors in both
adrenals, if our memories -- I asked Steve, too -- are accurate.  Our
rate for any adrenal growths in ferrets is close to half of them (only
one being an early one, and only two malignancies in adrenals) and our's
are almost always rescues who arrive with medical and abuse problems.
How much the darkness helps we don't know, but it seems to maybe be
useful here.]