From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 00:53:48 -0400
Several things to talk about tonight...

Met a couple FML subscribers at the Frederick MD show Saturday.  We had a
pretty good day - one first place ribbon for a silver mitt (black mitt)
kit jill.  I seem to remember Cindy Sooy getting a few ribbons as well.
I finished up my judge's training program at the show that evening - whew.

Going to Chicago this weekend, really hope to meet some of you FML folks
who don't get to the East coast.  I'd post 'directions' but I've never
been there myself.  Roger hangs around here maybe he'll post some.  I'm
sure there will be a bunch of nice folks and a few nice ferret kits
looking for homes.  Several folks from the midwest have been asking about
them here is a really good chance.  Really good judges, gonna a be a
really good time I'm sure.

People have been asking about 'German' ferrets being healthier than
'American' ferrets.  We have American, German and English bloodlines.  I
also know several people including Pam Grant and Pete Koch that have
imported German ferrets.  The ferrets from England are by far more energetic
because they are raised as working animals.  They have no end of energy.
The European lines are not immune to the cancers that have also been seen in
the American lines.  I'm quite happy with the Germans I have but don't see
them as much better than some of my American lines.  We have some of the
largest hobs and jills but they aren't seeming to be much different than the
smaller ferrets.  English working ferrets that have reputations for being
remarkably free from the cancers that plague American ferrets are smaller
because they need to be to do the hunting through rabbit holes.  There are
relationships between certain appearances and certain problems - for example
most champagne (cinnamon) ferrets have smaller rib cgaes and weaker hips
than sables and albinoes.  We have some really strong champagnes but these
are the exception so far.  Hopefully these better genes will be spread
through the champagne lines and the weaker bodies will become less
prevalent.  Really what I'm saying is that we Americans actually have no
reason to feel any inferiority to European or other countries in ragards to
ferrets.  There are probably many more ferrets in this country than in most
others as ferrets are more popular as pets than anywhere else in the world
and we have a larger gene pool to 'swim in' as long as we are willing to
occasionally travel a bit to bring in cross outs in or breeding programs.

bill killian
zen and the art of ferrets
(diane didn't help with this one so sling any flames at me only)