Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:57:01 -0800
>Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
>Taking the advice of Dr. Williams I saved the money for the surgery,
>rather than the ultrasound.

Some of the time you may not save money...in the long run.  Some vets,
including mine, think ultrasounds are very helpful.  Without an ultrasound
it is sometimes difficult to locate tumors, which can increase the time
under anaesthesia.  I understand that adrenal glands are able to hide
behind other organs.

Maybe it's more of a problem with our shelter ferrets, as we don't often
know what surgeries they may or may not have had.  Or a ferret may be
turned in with information that they've had their left adrenal removed,
when in reality it may have actually been an insulinoma surgery.

My vet doesn't like searching around inside the ferret looking for tumors,
because that can cause adhesions which can lead to other problems.  An
ultrasound can also point out other problems/tumors that can be checked
out during the same surgery, otherwise the vet would only be looking at the
adrenal glands.

My vet isn't on the FML, so I'm translating what was said to me.  Perhaps
some of the vets on the list can clarify what I think I'm trying to say? :-)

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
Seattle, WA