From:
Rebecca Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:49:09 EDT
My fuzzgirl, Sinead's, favorite toy (barring kitty ears still attached
to the cat and "anyt'ing Mom doesn't want me to have") is her stuffed
dolphin, named Whale.

Whale has a long history with the ferts in this household.  He first
belonged to the Delightful Duo of Fiona and Morag.  Whale was one of the
few plush animals that they were allowed to play with.  There was a
little otter "kit" that Fiona decided was her baby; draggging it around
and putting it to "bed" - until she nipped its ear too hard and ripped a
piece off.  (Some kids just won't take discipline, y'know?) The girls
were much gentler with Whale, and kept him in their hammie for cuddling.
When their new sister, Jasmine, arrived, she got to share him at naptime,
but that was about it.  Whale was _theirs_, and they weren't going to let
her forget it.  When Morag went to the Bridge, Whale became Fiona's
constant companion, since he smelled like her sister.  Jasmine became
Fiona's "caretaker", and although they were friends, it was obvious that
Jasmine would never be able to fill the place left by Morag.  Whale
helped Fiona to pull through her depression.  Fiona went next, almost a
year after Morag, and Jasmine became Whale's keeper.  Whale provided
comfort and continuity through adrenal surgery and the adoption of two
more fuzzbutts.  Garfunkel was a curmudgeonly little old lady who had
been badly abused.  Months of therapy at the shelter got her mostly over
that, although she never became friendly to other animals.  She was 7 1/2
when she came to her Forever Home, although forever wasn't nearly long
enough.  Still, she lived out the remainder of her life with lots of love
from her humans.  With her came an unnamed, 12-week-old baby who had been
starved and neglected.  Also a biter, it took her a long time to adjust
to the idea that humans could be good.  Once she did, she developed a
feisty personality that has become more sweet and mellow with age.  This
is Sinead, my little sable bundle of curiosity.  Sinead and Jasmine
became playmates and friends, despite the wide difference in their years.
Jasmine would let Sinead play with Whale occasionally, but she demanded
to have him back when she was ready for bed.  Sinead learned very quickly
that it was in her best interest to co-operate.

Jasmine departed for the Bridge last November, surrounded by her people.
She had been slightly "off" for a couple of weeks, but was still lively
and active.  As we all know, that can change overnight for a ferret,
especially an older one, and so it was with my Jasmine Dancer Ferret
Fosse, so named because she never walked anywhere if she could dance
instead.  Sinead now has Whale tucked in her hammie, where she can cuddle
with him to her heart's content (and she does.) Her other toys may see
rough play, but not him.  Whale is special.  They say that if a toy is
loved and played with enough, it becomes real.  The fuzzgirls sure have
seemed to think that this is so, anyway.

~Becca: "Spending a week with your 90-year-old granddad sure makes you
contemplative."