From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:02:54 EDT
>Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: deaf ferrets
>I'm just curious.... others have posted in about how hard it is dealing
>with their deaf ferrets.  Is there anyone else out there who has a deaf
>ferret that has been no problem?  Maybe it's just a fluke but we have one
>deaf boy (Moon Boy, 2years old, blaze) and he is the sweetest one.

I have a little girl ferret who is no trouble at all.... she is the best
behaved fuzzie we have.  None of my deaf ferrets are jumpy in the least...
I don't know if that is from early identification and the secure
environment we raised them in or just a coincidence.

I remember with Ping and Pong testing them over and over and over.  I
remember my husband yelling, clapping, doing things behind their backs
trying to get some...any response at all.  Why?  Because these fellas just
didn't "act" deaf.  Not in the least and it was very difficult for us to
accept. :)

Now later on when they got older, we did see some deaf stereotypical
behaviors.  But none of my deaf ferrets are any trouble to us at all.
IN fact... our hearing guy is the rowdiest clown of all and gets into
everything (Rocky is also a hearing guy...but he is an angel in fur and I
don't count him lolol).  I really think it's part personality, and part
environment that determines the outcome of these little ones.  We have one
deaf fella with genetics that has him hyper, and a handful in the least.
But environment has him manageable and well behaved.  My little girl was
skittish when we brought her home.... but no more...due to the secure
loving environment and structure we offer her.

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on deafness and ferrets:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html
take a peek at upcomming "so you have allergies":
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/allergies.html