From:
Cherie Mazza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:38:58 -0600
Hi there,
I have never posted on the ferret mailing list but I read it daily and
thought I'd share what I know about service animals.

Here is a site that answers most common questions:
http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm

I found this document to carry great weight when I had trouble with
an apartment complex who said I could not have any visitor's with a
service animal (it was a dog in this case). They were breaking their
own policy and ultimately once I handed them this document I had no
further trouble.

Ferrets are not excluded as service animals. And all the info Anne gave
about the laws were completely right. I am not sure of what task a
ferret might perform to help someone with a disability. But I'm sure
you'd all agree, ferrets can be trained to do certain tasks. So how can
we say that a ferret could NOT be a service animal? I totally agree
that ferrets would be a great therapy animal though.

Cherie